Can't sign in to Google Keep Extension

Description of the issue:

After installing the Google Keep extension, I have not been able to sign in to this Google service.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Tried to open a “new blank note” and was prompted to sign in to Google Keep service.

2. Attempted to create a new note for Microsoft 365 plans/pricing page and was prompted to sign in to Keep service.

3. Tried to create a new note for an auction item at eBay.com. I was prompted to sign in to service.

Actual Result:

I received a notification from the extension to sign in. I attempted to sign in to this service but there was never a Google login pop-up presented to complete this request.

Expected result:

A Google redirect page to sign in to the Keep service and enable this extension.

Reproduces how often:

Every time I attempt to sign in to the Google Keep service.

Operating System and Brave Version:

macOS Big Sur - Version 11.3 (20E217)

Brave - Version 1.27.109 Chromium: 92.0.4515.115 (Official Build) (arm64)

Additional Information:

I have successfully installed and enabled three (3) other extensions on this browser from the Google Chrome Web Store.

1 Like

Type brave://settings/extensions in the address bar → make sure Allow Google login for extensions is enabled.

Thanks for the quick response! I did check the Google login setting and it was already enabled. Any other thoughts on resolving this issue? Thanks again for your help!

Open the website where you would like to sign into Google Keep, and disable Brave Shields via the Brave Shields icon in the address bar.

Thanks for the follow up guidance. Unfortunately, disabling Brave Shields did not fix the issue. I still cannot sign in to the Keep extension. This issue is not playing nice so far.

Keep sign in Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 8.27.08 PM

Indeed.

If you don’t mind clearing your browsing data, try the following:

1. Open brave://settings/clearBrowserData via the address bar.
  2. Click on AdvancedTime rangeAll time.
  3. Select Cookies and other site data, Cached images and files, Site and Shields Settings.
  4. Clear data.

Note: Clearing Site and Shields Settings browsing data resets global Brave Shields settings, you’ll have to re-adjust global Brave Shields settings via brave://shields.

Well, I have definitely hit a “brick wall” on this one. I tried clearing the browsing data per your direction and I still cannot get to a Google Keep service log in page from the extension. I’m still stuck at the Keep extension pop up requesting me to sign in. Sigh. :smile:

I have to step away from my desk for a few minutes. Thanks again for all of your help!

Btw: any other other troubleshooting thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

@transistorjoe

Could you check whether Allow Google login buttons on third party sites is enabled via brave://settings/socialBlocking?

Yes, this Google button is enabled.

I’m definitely “scratching my head” on this one!

Just to clarify things once again:

When you click on Sign in you’re not provided a way to sign into the website, is that right? Did you disable Brave Shields via the Brave Shields icon in the address bar after you clicked on Sign in?

Yes, you are correct about my sign on issue. That is exactly the problem.
Also, I did disable Brave Shields via the icon after clicking on sign in.

Based on all information so far, I can conclude the issue isn’t related to Brave Shields and browsing data.

Could you check whether you can sign in successfully while in a private window? Just make sure you don’t have any extensions enabled in private window (shouldn’t have any if you haven’t explicitly enabled them in private window).

No luck signing into the Keep extension while in a private window. (fyi - no extensions were previously enabled).

It seems I’ll need to pursue a workaround at this stage. While it would be convenient to work out of the Keep extension on my Mac, I’ll just use the service in a browser tab (I know that works). :sunglasses:

Thanks again for all of your help Rethanis! Much appreciated!!!

Before that, let’s check whether the issue persists in a fresh user profile.

Follow the instructions below:

After you create the new user profile, make sure to enable both Allow Google login buttons on third party sites and Allow Google login for extensions as we discussed earlier.

Also, after you set up everything above, I would like you to take a screenshot of the Developer console. So, open the problematic website → click on Sign in → press F12 to open Developer tools → click on Console → Take a screenshot.

1 Like

@Rethanis

I apologize for the delay following up…

I have created a new user profile w/ both Google settings enabled per your direction.

I have also included a screenshot of the Dev console at Google sign in for your review.

Please let me know if I’ve missed anything. Thank you!

Were you provided a way to sign into the website with the fresh user profile?

Yes, I was redirected to the standard Google sign in page:

To be clear, I got to this sign in page by typing https://keep.google.com/u/0/ in the address bar of the new user profile window. I did not get to this page via the Keep extension.

So if I understand properly, we have some progress here?

Are you able to achieve what you were trying to achieve in the old user profile?

I can successfully access / log in to the Keep service through a browser tab with the old user profile as well. I do apologize if I was not previously clear but I have always been able to access Keep through a browser window.

My specific issue is using the Keep extension on Brave to create a note. This specific extension does not provide a redirect to a Google sign in page. The extension just “hangs” at this pop up as previously described:

Google Sign in pop up

For testing purposes, I enabled the Keep extension on a Google Chrome browser currently installed on my Mac. I was able to simply click on the extension and create the desired note:
Keep extension window (Google Chrome)

It seems there is a functionality issue specifically with the Keep extension currently running on Brave. As I previously noted, I have successfully enabled / logged in to three other extensions installed from the Chrome web store.

At this point, I think my best option for using the Keep service on Brave is to simply work through a browser tab to create notes (versus the extension).

Surprise…surprise…

@transistorjoe

Unfortunately, it’s a Brave bug that requires a fix by developers, we won’t be able to resolve the issue on our own. I mentioned the thread in the Github issue above, hopefully developers will commit a fix anytime soon. Thanks for being super helpful in our attempts to resolve the issue :wink:

1 Like