Can't restore saved passwords

windows

Hi there.
I reinstalled Windows but I have a complete disk image from my previous installation.
Now I want to restore the saved credentials from this previous install.

I already copied and replaced the files “session-store-1” and “Login Data” and after that didn’t work, I simply replaced all the files inside the AppData\Roaming\brave folder.

It seems like everything got imported but the passwords.

Is there any other way for me to restore the passwords? Did I miss anything?

Thank you very much in advance.

PS: According to this thread here the credentials should be stored in the “session-store-1” file, but that’s not the case for me: Export brave data to import on my new computer

Okay so what I found out by now is that the “Login Data” file is a sqlite format 3 database which stores the passwords as a so called “BLOB” type.

Now how can I convert their binary value back to my password?

Please post your Brave version information from the about:Brave page.

Brave: 0.18.14
rev: ad92d029e184c4cff01b2e9f4916725ba675e3c8
Muon: 4.3.6
libchromiumcontent: 60.0.3112.78
V8: 6.0.286.44
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: dev
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
OS Release: 6.1.7601
OS Architecture: x64

I was using the same version in the previous installation, but apparently I initially installed 0.17.19 since there’s a folder with “app-0.17.19” inside AppData\Local\brave.

Just tried to restore the passwords with the 0.17.19 version but it didn’t work either. Then I updated to 0.18.14 just like I did with my previous installation and it still won’t work.
What’s preventing Brave to decrypt / restore my passwords?!

Okay so I gave up.
I restored the old Windows image and got my passwords that way.

What I learned so far: the passwords are stored inside the “Login Data” file, which is a SQLite database. The passwords are stored as BLOB type and encrypted with CryptProtectData.

No idea how they can be decrypted, though.

Time to get back to reliable password managers, I guess.

Try password manager extensions available on Brave, such as 1password/Dashlane/LastPass/etc.