Can't install / update the Widevine component in Brave Browser

I’ve been browsing this community & reddit to find an answer to my problem without any success so I give it a try here as well.

I’m using Brave Browser (Version 0.69.135 Chromium: 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and when I want to access Netflix movies I get the error that I need to update the Widevine component. When accessing Netflix or Spotify Web Player I’m not offered to enable/install the Widevine component, there is not little ‘puzzle’ icon in the URL bar next to the Brave Shield icon. I went to brave://components but there is no Widevine component to update. My OS is MacOS Catalina 10.15, I updated yesterday, but this same issue was happening on my previous OS MacOS Mojave (latest version).

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I love the Brave Browser, the idea behind it & its community, but having access to DRM protected content via Widevine is a make or break situation for me.

Thank you in advance for your comments/tips.

1 Like

Did you not receive a notification to install Widevine, @matecsernak? https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023851591-How-do-I-view-DRM-protected-content-

Can you try disable your shields for Netflix via Brave icon at URL bar and see if you can receive the notification?

1 Like

I get the install popup from iTunes/Apple when I go to listen to podcasts from the Brave browser.

Here’s the link to the popup that worked for me:

1 Like

Yeah the thing is that I don’t receive the notification and I already turned off the shield and refreshed but no popup :frowning:

Thank you for the link! Unfortunately, for me there is no notification popup.

EDIT: I added a new Person to the Brave Browser -> I accessed Netflix with the Brave Shields down -> I got the popup notification which I accepted and now Widevine Content Decryption module is installed in all Person’s account. SOLVED.

Thanks for the help though @eljuno & @engro!

2 Likes

You’re welcome, @matecsernak, and I’m glad I could help. That’s what the Brave Community is about: helping each other. :slight_smile:

1 Like