Can't Install Extensions on Windows Browser Installed Without Admin

I just installed Brave on my desktop at work. I love that Brave offers the ability to install it without Admin privileges, given it’s a work machine I don’t have those. It seemed to work fine. Except it won’t sync any extensions. When I try to manually install an extension I get the following error:

Could not install package: 'COULD_NOT_GET_TEMP_DIRECTORY'

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Install Brave on a windows machine without Admin rights
  2. Try to install any extension

Expected result: Since the install worked I’m guessing it installs into an area with user rights. It should be able to point to a temp directory that’s accessible as well.

Brave Version( check About Brave): Version 1.52.84 Chromium: 113.0.5672.63 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

Additional Information: I’m sure this has to do with the non-Admin install. But it seems like it should still be possible to install extensions.

In doing further searching I’m not sure it has to do with the lack of Admin privileges. I think it’s more likely that I’m on a thin client and something is wrong with Chromium’s handling of temp directories on network mounted drives.

For what it’s worth I’ve since noticed that this was a problem with Brave Beta, but the regular Brave browswer seems to be working now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.