Can't import bookmarks and settings from Firefox

Description of the issue:
When I try to import bookmarks and settings from firefox(67.0.4 64-bit) to brave(v. 0.65121 Chromium 75.0.3770.100 64-bit) though “import bookmarks and settings” I get a “your bookmarks and settings are ready”, but no bookmarks, passwords, history, etc. are imported.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Go to “get started” -> “import bookmarks and settings”.
  2. Choose “Mozzila Firefox”.
  3. Select everything under “select items to import”, then click “Import”.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Get massage “your bookmarks and settings are ready”, but nothing actually gets imported.

Expected result:
Successful import of bookmarks, passwords, history a etc.

Reproduces how often:
Everytime.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit(Version 1903, OS build 18362.175).

Brave(v. 0.65121, Chromium 75.0.3770.100 64-bit).
Additional Information:

Hi,
do you have the desired Firefox files on another Windows user that you are not logged in with by the “Brave Import User”?

Hi, I have only one user account on this pc.

Howdy, @sandro149. You probably did this, but for the bookmarks, did you look in the “Other Bookmarks” folder to see if they landed in there? I’m pretty sure that’s where mine landed when I imported months ago. I don’t recall whether I imported passwords, but it was a different version then, anyway.

Yes, I did.

Hey, I forgot to compliment you on your complete report; many users omit the operating system they’re using at all, let alone what version, not to mention the version of Brave they’re using. So nice job.

I just tried importing from Firefox Nightly in Brave 0.65.121 on my Win10 Home 1809 Build 17763.557 machine and it created an “Imported from Firefox” folder in my Bookmarks bar folder. Perhaps mine’s not broken because of OS version differences, but … Are you running antimalware/AV software, esp. Kaspersky? Sometimes those screw with Brave’s operations. @Mattches, any ideas on this importation issue?

*** EDIT inserted after rest complete ***
OH, one other thought: as ridiculous as this might sound, try turning off hardware acceleration and try the import again. It’s in Settings\Additional settings\System (direct link brave://settings/system).
*** end EDIT ***

A “Bookmark all tabs” window isn’t the best way to explore bookmark folder content, though the lack expansion triangles to the left of both listed folders does suggest they’re empty. Sorry for missing that. Consider using Bookmarks Manager to explore this, which can be reached several ways, including using brave://bookmarks/ (or brave://bookmarks/?id=2 to get right to the Other Bookmarks folder) and should look something like this:

Potentially important sidenote: Brave doesn’t create additional folders at that level unless you’ve synced with a mobile device (Mobile bookmarks folder is created), so any additional bookmarks and folders have to be in the Bookmarks bar folder or the Other bookmarks folder. Users have complained about this off and on, myself included, and my understanding is that the devs might be working on it.

Hopefully @Mattches’ superior KungFu can help resolve your issue.

@sandro149,
This issue (with Firefox specifically) is often hit and miss and can be hard to diagnose. One thing to test is to try and import this data again, but when doing so, uncheck all boxes and try importing one at a time.

Yes, I realize how arduous that is, but it will tell us where (or if) the import is halted on a specific type of data.

1 Like

Just tried that, same result.

I only have “Windows Security”, no other AV.
I have Brave synchronized on mobile and tablet.
Tried import with hardware acceleration turned off, get same result.

I remember when I tried to import from Firefox to another browser Maxthon, Maxthon would give massage about some syntax error in Firefox profile file.

@sandro149,
Thanks for the information. I’m going to forward and go over this with the team and see if we can find/fix the root cause.
In the meantime, you can at the very least export/import both bookmarks and passwords from Firefox manually by performing the following steps:

Exporting/Importing Bookmarks

1. In Firefox, go to Menu --> Bookmarks --> Show all bookmarks --> Import/Backup your bookmarks --> Export Bookmarks
  2. Save your bookmarksHTML file somewhere and close FF
  3. Now open Brave, Menu --> Bookmarks --> Import Bookmarks and Settings and select Bookmarks HTML File from the drop-down box.
  4. Select your exported Firefox HTML file.

You should now see your bookmarks imported and populated in Brave.

Exporting/Importing Passwords
This one is a bit more laborious since FF doesn’t have a built in way to export saved passwords/logins. However, many users have used this tool to do exactly that in order to import them into a seperate browser.
To export:
I would recommend using the FF Password Exporter add-on – while it is 3rd party, it’s very well reviewed and many people stand by it. The link above points to their Github page where you can download the software as well as view usage instructions. Additionally, there are other software out there that you can use – I leave it up to you whether or not you’d like to go this route.

If you do choose to use pw/login exporter software and export your data, continue to the next steps below.

To Import:

1. Open Brave and type Brave://flags/ into the address bar
  2. Search for a flag titled #PasswordImport , you’ll be prompted to relaunch (do so)
  3. After relaunch, return to the passwords page and click the same menu you did to export
  4. Notice that you now have an “import” option available as well:
    image.png
  5. Select Import and choose the file you exported your data to

Apologies for the inconvenience, please let me know if you need any further assistance.

2 Likes

Thank you, this helped alot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.