Can't get 'Call Phones from GMail' to work in Brave Dev

Strange stuff. Since I can’t call from GMail or Hangouts with either current version of BRAVE (Core or Dev) I thought I’d try my old version of BRAVE, since I didn’t have this issue with that version. Once 3rd party fingerprinting was disabled I had no problem calling from that version. At least not then.

But now calling doesn’t work at all from that version (even with 3rd party fp disabled).

I’ve also not so far been able to get any help from the Hangouts discussion group (Google) where I posted about this.

Can it be that I’m the only Brave user on a Mac who uses Hangouts &/or Call Phones from GMail?

I’d sure like to get either or both of these apps working in a current version of Brave so I don’t have to run Chrome (where it works normally) just for that.

Cheers.

I actually recall helping you with this issue in Muon as well:
https://community.brave.com/t/call-phones-feature-in-gmail-not-working-in-brave/27589/4
:point_up: Note that the solution was the same.
The only other report (relevant to this at least) that I could find was this one:

Again, more or less the same fix as you encountered. I’m fairly perplexed by this.
Another idea - Try opening a Private Window or Private w/Tor Window session and attempt to make a phone call as you normally would. Did it work?

Thanks. Of the two of us I think I’m the most perplexed. :wink:

Especially since the feature works without issue in Chrome (which I really don’t want to use).

I almost always use a Private window for anything Google.

I’d use a Private TOR window but Google blocks them. For all of its services, even ‘search.’

So you’ve been using a private window when attempting to make these calls?

So you’ve been using a private window when attempting to make these calls?

Yes. I’ve just tried it (Call Phones from GMail) in a regular window with ‘all shields off’ and there’s no difference. Call goes through and is answered but I don’t hear the phone ring or the other party when they pick up the phone.

I do see a message scurry across the top of the page that ‘autoplay was blocked.’

I don’t know what that would have to do with making a phone call. Do you?

I believe Autoplay can apply to any type of media that initiates playback once loaded. I’d try allowing it and seeing if it has any effect

Do you know how to do that?

All I see in Mac Sys Prefs re ‘autoplay’ concerns DVDs/CDs. When I go into those options I don’t see anything about blocking/allowing autoplay.

I don’t see anything about it in what’s returned from a search (for “autoplay”) of Brave’s ‘Help’ either.

At the top of the screen:

The flyover for the middle icon says “Autoplay was blocked on this page”.
The one to the left of it says “This page is accessing your microphone”.
The one on the far left says “This page wants to install a service handler”.

@mk7z,
Click on the autoplay icon: image
When prompted, select to Always allow autoplay...
Reload the page and try to complete a call again.

Bingo. Thanks & Glory Hallelujah. :pray: :star_struck:

1 Like

Perseverance! Glad we got this sorted out!
Thanks for sticking with it!