Can't Download, SD Card not Found

Same here, pls help:(

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure. I factory reset my phone and then this issue started. Never seen it before. I had android 10 prior so no major update. Huawei P30 Pro Android/EMUI 10 for reference

I faced this problem when I used Brave. Then I found a solution in a Facebook article. Need to change storage location from the setting option. Now I uninstalled Brave and using Chrome now.

Same here, Samsung s10e. Brave is trying to save to SD card, but that isn’t there, never was. Can’t change the download location, even though ‘ask every time’ is active. Ideas?

2 Likes

Same issue here with a Samsung Galaxy S10+ running Android 10

Edit: I actually can’t download anything on my S10+. Trying to send things to the “Downloads” folder does nothing and if I choose “SD card” instead (those are the only two options) then it saves my downloads to storage/0000-0000/Android/data/com.brave.browser/files/download which is on the SD card it said it couldn’t find but nested in a place that’s absolutely ridiculous to have to navigate to in a file manager.

It only tells me the SD card isn’t found when I attempt to save something to the internal storage via the “Downloads” destination. But the only other option is “SD card” which sends files to the path I listed above.

Edit 2: It’s also not ideal to save to that directory due to the nomedia file in the parent directory of storage/0000-0000/Android/data. I’m not sure why a subdirectory of the data folder on the SD card was thought to be a viable destination for downloaded files. They won’t ever show up in any apps like gallery, media player, word processors, etc.

3 Likes

The latest update, Brave 1.5.8, didn’t fix it.

I have the same problem, I download, but I cant open the downloaded files.
And I think I know why:
The files are downloaded in: file:///storage…
As you can see, the downloaded path is wrong, there shouldn’t be 3 slash / signs, but 2 instead (ie file://storage… )
Just look at the screenshot above from aarizrajul (reply no26)

This is why the files can’t be found anywhere with a file manager.

2 Likes

No, the three slashes are how the browser opens files. They aren’t being saved to that directory. “file:///” is the equivalent of “https://”. The directory begins at storage, not at file. @hotfood

1 Like

Easy to reproduce on my Google Pixel 3 (without SD card):
-install app

• downloading works (to the app folder)
  • open download settings*
  • downloading will fail
  • delete app data (like a re-install)
  • downloading works again

In the download settings it mentions a different location (/storage/emulated/0/Download), which I cannot change…

Very strange. I tried creating different folders on my phone (like ‘download’ or ‘downloads’ on different places, but nothing works).

Very curious about this bug!

3 Likes

Same problem Brave 1.5.7 Chromium 80.0.3987.119. Android v 10. Device LG8. Also after T-Mobile Android update. No micro SD.

One week and no developer update. The browser is fundamental to a smart phone. Talk to us. Please do not turn into the WHO of application developers. I loved your product…please help me use it. Any update is good just to let us know you care. Bad news is still valuable news.

I also noticed this kind of behaviour also occurring on other Chromium-based browser.

I’ve tried Microsoft Edge and Vivaldi. It also possesses the same problem where the downloaded files are not saved to the Download folder. Instead, it saves the files nested under the application data folder directory under Android/data/(application-package-name)/files/download

I do not find this problem on Opera and Google Chrome. Based on the comments, it’s either Android 10 related problems or Chromium-related problems.

1 Like

For me, this problem showed after the T-Mobile Android 10 upgrade for the OnePlus 6t. I installed Brave Beta and going through that, I was presented with a screen asking for Brave to be able to access Storage, and it worked. I had gone into App permissions and toggled Storage for Brave, but that didn’t seem to fix it.

Edit: Apparently I spoke too soon. That didn’t work and is showing the same problem now.

It seems like a permissions issue, but just changing things manually didn’t seem to resolve the issue. I changed the permission to deny, closed Brave, and relaunched it. This gave me hope as Brave tried to request a Storage permission, but even after granting it this way, it had the same result.

2 Likes

It’s been a week now. I’m uninstalling Brave now. I’ll look here once in a while and consider coming back once it’s fixed but I’m disappointed it’s taking so long to fix a crucial (to me) feature. I mean the company behind Brave should have enough resources to swiftly solve this.

1 Like

It’s fixed on brave beta

1 Like

Still seeing this on Beta 1.5.105 using Android 10 on T-Mobile, Samsung Galaxy S20.

Downloaded images are not seen by Google Photos, Gallery, or Samsung’s My Files.

I just discovered something strange. This is not a permission issue. If you open the overflow menu (the three vertical dots) and press the download icon to download a page for offline viewing, it saves the file to storage/emulated/0/download without even asking you where you want to save it (if you have that option enabled). This tells me that is it not an issue with Brave not seeing the internal storage in general as it reports when you attempt to save anything to the same folder, because it’s placing offline webpages there with no problem.

1 Like

Sony Xperia 1, Android 10. Also have this issue. Fresh phone, migrated all my apps over from an Android 8 phone. Figured that might be the issue, but uninstalling and reinstalling did not help. Forced to use chrome at the moment as I need the ability to download.

Hello,
I found a simple solution that work for me. After uninstal the last Brave build, I’ve installed an old version of Brave, the 1.5.5,. This one download files in the download folder of the phone.
You can easily find the brave 1.5.5 apk.

(Xiaomi redmi mi 9t pro, miui 11.0.5)

I went to create a recording of my discovery that downloading pages for offline use places them in the downloads folder so I could post it here, but as I went to do so I discovered that the problem has magically disappeared. I didn’t change any settings, I didn’t reinstall, wipe data, there were no updates, it just works now. It’s no longer telling me the SD card can’t be found when I try to download something. Am I the only one this is fixed for without needing an update

Edit: Scratch that. I looked in my notifications and they’re showing up as “download error” but they’re still successfully saving.

Here is a recording of how Brave is behaving for me now. As I already mentioned saving web pages works just fine. However now my regular downloads are also working, but it’s telling me they failed when they didn’t.

2 Likes