Hi Brave community and team! Just installed the browser last week and I’m really liking it, but I figured I’d add my two cents. I’m also having the same issue. Here are the details.
Version 1.10.97 Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Windows 10 1903
English (United States) - plus others
Spell check dictionary download failed. Please check with your network administrator to make sure that the firewall is not blocking download from Brave servers.
- Cycled through different languages to attempt to download them
- Off VPN - Turned off the firewall on my machine and attempted to download spell check again
- On VPN - tried to download spellcheck with firewall turned on
- On VPN - with firewall OFF, tried to download spellchek
- Disconnected machine from home network, used mobile phone to USB tether and used the mobile network to attempt to download the spell check (did this with firewall on/off with the same results).
- Same as step #5, but also turned VPN on my mobile phone while it was acting as a USB tether and tried to download spellcheck
- Last note - HOSTS file is default on this machine, but I tried with an empty HOSTS file as well and the results were the same.
- Last LAST note - no antivirus other than windows defender present on the machine. Turning it off made no difference.
Suffice to say that all attempts of the troubleshooting failed.
I’m not sure what servers Brave is using for spell check so I can’t say if there is a connection or firewall or routing problem somewhere. That being said, I thought about trying something like Wireshark to see what’s happening with the packets but that seems like a bit too much effort for a Friday evening and I’m not sure I would know enough to be able to figure out what’s happening even if I had the logs.
Let me know what other info might be helpful.