Can't clear browsing data on exit

Description of the issue:
I was recently forced to reinstall Windows due to a SSD failure, upon a fresh install of brave I started to configure it to my liking.
One of which was configuring brave to clear data on exit, but for some reason I couldn’t save any of the settings I made.
I could select whatever I wanted to clear on exit (Browsing history, cookies etc) but the save button is greyed out.

Steps to Reproduce
I did the following hamburger menu > more tools > clear browsing data > on exit. Save button is greyed out

Expected result:
Being able to select what I wanted to clear on exit

Operating System and Brave Version
Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Version 1.46.144 Chromium: 108.0.5359.128 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like

Hello there @GNUPlusWindowsUser could you please try installing the Beta or Nightly version of Brave to see if the issue persists on those versions.

Be waiting for your response.

@GNUPlusWindowsUser I was able to replicate by going there in the way you did. However, going the other route through Settings, I don’t have the same issue. So if you go to SettingsPrivacy and SecurityClear Browsing History you’ll be able to select.

However, if just try to go to brave://settings/clearBrowserData directly or navigating through More Tools as you mentioned, it won’t be:

Would you mind testing by navigating to it in Settings and see if it works for you?

Kevin_cc I always get nervous about looking through Github and creating issues there. I know I was able to replicate this issue, not sure if you’d be able to test. If they have you over on Github yet, would you be comfortable in checking if this has an open issue? Then maybe creating issue over there if it’s not?

If not comfortable over on Github yet, we’ll see about Mattches or whoever doing it. I just know there have been times I searched, didn’t find something, but then Mattches or others link to it. Last thing I want to do is create duplicates or put in the wrong area, so usually try to leave it to Support.

Never mind. Sorry to have tagged you over on this Kevin. Seems whatever issue will be resolved in future release. (^_^)

1 Like

That worked nicely, thank you.
I’ve also downloaded the nightly build of brave and the issue doesn’t occur on nightly.

2 Likes

Ah, well then. Maybe don’t need to create an issue after all then, lol.

1 Like

@Saoiray no worries c:, gladly this issue had an easier solution so we won’t be needing GitHub at the moment lol.

@GNUPlusWindowsUser Thanks for letting us know that, should you have other issues or concerns, please let us know.

hrm, that’s unfortunate, seems kind of silly to have this be a problem in a privacy focused browser.

I’m having the exact same problem. And none of the suggestions here work. It simply will not allow me to SAVE my “clear browser data” on exit, period.

1 Like

Could you please tell me on which Brave version are you currently experiencing this issue and your device OS?

Windows 10 on a Dell Desktop PC.
Brace says “Up to date”

No matter what I do, the ‘save’ is ghosted:

1 Like

@mande95747 try the following:

1. Go to brave://settings/clearBrowserData
  2. Select just one of the options to see if the save option can be clicked.
  3. If it can’t be clicked, scroll down and select Reset Brave rewards data...
  4. When you are redirected go back to the clear data page by clicking on the back arrow button.
  5. Once you are back on the Clear Browsing data screen, refresh it and try selecting the options again.

Let me know if that works.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.