Can't access articles on WSJ.com on desktop

Description of the issue:
When trying to read an article at WSJ.com using Brave desktop I am asked to subscribe or login to read the full article.

Shield settings:

FWIW I can access the article on the mobile android version of Brave.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Navigate to https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-railroads-are-making-freight-trains-longer-and-longer-1529055002

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
View the whole article

Reproduces how often:
Seems to occur for any article I try to access.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10
Brave Version 0.64.77 Chromium: 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Thanks!

@Joeolson Thanks for reaching out! It’s same even in other browsers (Chrome and IE).

IE:

Chrome:

Thanks!

Thanks for the response. Clearly I’m aware that other Browsers are blocked, that’s why I use Brave. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’re telling me that it’s not something Brave is capable of that’s fine, but I wonder then how the mobile android version gets around it?

@Joeolson Thanks for the response. This is the website issue, nothing to do with brave. Brave can block the ads and trackers and ensure the safe browing. Apart from that we can’t stops the popups which are implemented as part of website or banner.

In Android Chrome or Android brave - It doesn’t show the popup notification to subscribe or login.

Thanks!

Well . . . here’s a screenshot from wsj.com using the Chrome android browser. It’s blocked. Brave android gets past this somehow. It’s not that the block doesn’t exist for mobile users. That’s the basis for my question. If it’s not doable on desktop that’s fine, but I’m curious what the difference is.

Thx.

@Joeolson Verified the wsj.com in both Android Chrome and Android Brave. The behavior is the same in both browsers. Even in Brave articles are not allowed to read completely until subscribe or login authentication is provided. I have recorded short files.

Thanks!

Well, this is frustrating. I’m able to bypass the login/sign up fine on wsj.com and other such sites with mobile Brave. Maybe your shield settings are different.

Screen capture from my phone . . .

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.