Cannot preview PDF's on 9 out of 10 websites... forces a download by default

bug

Hi,

When I try to click a link that should display a PDF file, in probably 9 out of 10 instances, it will default to a “save as” dialog and force download. It will not preview in the browser itself, as I would expect. Kind of a fundamental function of the browser, I would think. The same links will preview fine in Chrome or Edge.

I just searched PDF link to find some examples. The first link below works properly, as I would expect. It previews within the Brave browser.

This next link is the more common result. It will not preview and will open up a download save-as dialog box.

I am using Windows 10 and experience this exact issue on three different Win10 machines using the current build Brave browser.

Thanks.

Hi @erikpsc,

Can you share your Brave version? Menu > About Brave.

Thanks
:slightly_smiling_face:

Brave: 0.25.2
V8: 6.9.427.23
rev: 8ea2a9ce5ca329478186e6393e07f1cf87d34a22
Muon: 8.1.8
OS Release: 10.0.17134
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 69.0.3497.100

Hi @erikpsc,
Apologies for late response.

Likely you’re using the soon-will-be-replaced Brave (muon). And it’s a known common issue for this version of Brave.

Brave is in migration process to new architecture. And unfortunately, this version will no longer receive a bug fixes, etc. Since this version will be replaced by the new Brave (0.56.x and higher). https://brave.com/new-brave-browser-release-available-for-general-download/

Upgrade for the current user to the new Brave (brave-core) is coming in weeks. Or if you want to install it manually, you can download the new version from brave.com/download

You can run it in parallel then you can import your data from prev. Brave.

Thanks
:slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.