Cannot donate BAT to Wikipedia from bitflyer

Briefly describe your issue:
Tried to donate my BAT to Wikipedia, and got an error saying bitflyer cannot donate to Wikipedia.
I have my BAT Reward going into my bitflyer account every month okay.
See the error in attached screenshot

What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?
Brave 1.60.125, Chromium 119.0.6045.199
Android 12; Build/SKQ1.210821.001

Is your Brave Rewards Profile currently verified? (yes/no)
yes

What date did you connect a your Brave Rewards Profile?
2023-12-9

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?
Yes

Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)
No

Are you in a supported region (see here for list of supported regions)?
Yes, I am in Japan

Most likely cause wikipedia is using Uphold / Gemini as their custodial wallet for Brave creators. As of now, cross custodial tipping is not functional.

1 Like

So if I open an Uphold/Gemini account I can gift?
Where can I confirm what Wikipedia uses for theirs?

@BbQ The current state of Rewards only allows you to tip and receive tips from people on the same custodial partner. Since you’re in Japan, you would not be able to use Uphold or Gemini as Japan is not supported for either, at least not for Rewards integration.

In order for you to open an Uphold account and be able to link it to Brave, you would need to provide a passport from a country that is supported and set the account up with it. Then you would also have to reset Rewards or create a new profile in order to choose that country rather than Japan for Rewards.

Then there’s the headache of how it wouldn’t necessarily show you ads or pay you for ads if you’re in Japan, as it uses our IP address to know which ads to show us. So if you’re Japan but viewing ads from England or United States, as an example, it wouldn’t necessarily reconcile and could end up flagging your account over time.

As to answer your question, Wikipedia uses Uphold.

NOTE
Brave is in the midst of trying to provide on chain payouts. This would allow us to receive payments directly to our Wallet rather than having to go through a custodial partner like Uphold or BitFlyer. In addition, they are looking to allow Creators to be able to receive tips from all sources. There’s been talk of a few different ways of making that happen and I’m not sure which way it will go, but there’s definitely a lot to look forward to here in the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.