Cannot delete a bookmark

Before you post!

1. It is important that you have the right expectations for free technical support for free open source software.

For an average business day you should expect about 24 hours before your first response. For the weekend (any post after 3PM PST Friday to 11AM PST Monday) expect about 48 hours before your first response.

We totally love you, but we also have loved ones, pets, and stuffed animals we like to spend time with when we’re not making free software.

2. Did you check out our Common Issues? https://community.brave.com/c/common-issues

Clicking on that Lion in the upper-right corner and fiddling with settings is going to solve like 99% of your problems.

3. Keep It Tidy

Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a Linked Topic.

4. On the Internet nobody knows if you are being funny/sarcastic/rude.

Smileys go a long way, but it’s better if you stick to the facts and say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’. Don’t swear in text, it’s a waste of everyone’s energy.

Any kind of harassment/impersonation/spam will not be tolerated. Once acknowledged. your account will be banned.

5. Help us help you. This is how we expect you to write a post:

• A. Make a meaningful title. “Clicking on the Done button 3 times crashes Brave” is much better than “Brave suddenly crashed”.
  • B. A screenshot or recording of the issue (Licecap is totally free to use http://www.cockos.com/licecap/)
  • C. A listing of:
    • i. Your Operating System and version (Mac 10.11.x, Windows 7/8/10, Linux distribution, iOS 9/10, Android)
    • ii. Your Brave Version. (Desktop users please copy info from about:brave using the clipboard if possible)
  • D. Detailed step-by-step instructions of how you came across the issue.
    Example:
    • i. I downloaded and installed Brave.
    • ii. I created a bookmark and clicked the ‘Done’ button three times.
    • iii. Brave suddenly quit and my bookmark was not created.
  • E. Count to 20 and re-read your post. Could someone take offense at your post? Could you say something a bit more clearly?

6. If you do not follow the guidelines above, expect to have your post edited or deleted.

We’re not trying to be rude, we just don’t want to waste energy when we could be releasing new features and bug fixes.

7. Thanks for slowing down to read this. Use the template in step 5 and you can delete the rest.

Clearly I did something wrong here. I did not intend to post the guidelines. I did not see what caused this. My problem is that when I right click on a bookmark in the bookmark manager there is no option to delete a bookmark. Running the latest Brave on Windows 10. I could swear that I used to be able to delete them. A news site I was going to stopped allowing unfettered access unless I whitelisted them so they could show me ads. Now I won’t be going to that site anymore, and I want to remove their bookmark. Am I missing something obvious?

Brave: 0.21.24
V8: 6.5.254.36
rev: 19c78a1624118e344852c4c0f44c0d45be841b5f
Muon: 4.9.3
OS Release: 10.0.16299
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 65.0.3325.162

This gets more strange (to me). Some of my bookmarks allow me to delete them with a right click. Most do not. There is no correlation to how often I use them. Are some bookmarks somehow protected?

Hi @rstocum,

Did you mind to try this:

• Double click on bookmarks that have no Delete option. It’ll open that bookmark in new tab.
  • Then, try to right-click that bookmark again at bookmark manager and see if it show the option.

Also cc @LaurenWags. Maybe it’s a bug? :slight_smile:

It would have been great if that had worked, but it didn’t. I noticed that right clicking on the tab for the site once it was open gave me an option called Detach. I tried that, and tried right click in the Bookmark Manager, and it still didn’t have a Delete option.

@rstocum -

A few questions for you to gather some additional information we can use to research:

• was this an imported bookmark? If so, do you recall which browser you might have imported it from?
  • Is it on the Bookmarks Toolbar or is it nestled under a folder?
  • is it under the ‘Other Bookmarks’ heading when you go to about:bookmarks?

Thanks!
Lauren

I’m a pretty unsophisticated user. I did import a dozen or so bookmarks when I first started using Brave, but this one is relatively recent. I created it in the Bookmark Manager in Brave. I only have twenty seven bookmarks total, so I don’t bother to put them in folders or other bookmarks. I looked over my bookmark list to see if it was mostly the older ones (that were imported) that are not deletable, but that’s not the case. One of my oldest, that I know for sure was imported, does have a delete option when I right click. The imported ones came in from Microsoft Edge.

One thing that occurs to me is that all of my most recent bookmarks were created by navigating to the main page of the website, and clicking on the star on the left side of the top toolbar. Could the way I created the bookmark be the issue? Is there a better way?

I have worked out how to remove the bookmarks without having to right click for a delete option. I found that if I go to the site that is bookmarked, the star to the right of the top toolbar is filled in bright orange instead of the usual black and white outline. If I click on the star there is an option to remove the bookmark, and this option does indeed delete the bookmark. Still doesn’t explain why you can delete some, but not most of my bookmarks with a delete option from right clicking the bookmark in the bookmark manager, but so what? As long as there’s a way, right?

Thanks @rstocum - you should still be able to delete via right click so I will investigate that issue. Thanks for documenting your workaround in case anyone else comes across this in the mean time.

Best,
Lauren

Thank you Lauren, and thanks to eljuno too.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.