Cannot connect to websites following hard crash to desktop

For the last few months, attempting to download large files from Mega has resulted in a hard crash to desktop. This has been annoying, but not an impossible issue to work around, until today. Following a hard crash to desktop, Brave now refuses to connect to any website, except when using Tor mode. Functionality in Tor mode (or another browser entirely, for that matter) is normal, save for expected Tor complications.

I have cleared all Brave browser data, reset Brave settings to default, uninstalled Brave entirely, reinstalled with the latest installer, and rebooted my computer, none of which have solved the issue. I’ve checked both Brave and Windows Task Manager to ensure that no background processes related to the browser are running.

I am not using a VPN and have ensured that my firewall settings are configured to allow Brave whatever access it may need. I’ve checked for unusually large files in Brave’s AppData directory and have found nothing. According to About Brave, I am running Version 1.11.101 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I’m having to post this in Microsoft Edge like a caveman. Please advise.

Edit: The issue has spontaneously resolved itself. Leaving this post up in case anyone else experiences this and needs a place to report.

1 Like

@lil_jordo,
Thank you for the detailed report – very strange that it resolved itself like this, although I’m glad it did. I’ll keep an eye out for similar reports and please let us know if the issue returns.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.