Cannot click on YouTube videos unless full screen

Since this morning [October 12, 2021, Version 1.30.87 Chromium: 94.0.4606.71 (Official Build) (64-bit), Windows 10] the mouse cursor does not recognize clickable areas when I hover over a YouTube video unless when it is in full screen.

When not in full screen, I can only control the video with the keyboard, e.g. pressing space bar to pause it. Even when in full screen, the right click special YouTube menu does not display. In other words YouTube is broken.

YouTube works fine in private windows. Nevertheless, even disabling all extensions does not correct the problem in regular windows.

Major annoyance, would appreciate help in resolving it.

Same problem here, happened around the same time, im using the brave beta browser…

1 Like

Installed a browser extension called Cookie Remover. Clicked on it to remove YouTube cookies. Forced refresh of the YouTube video page, and - voila - it worked correctly.

Then refreshed the page one more time, the problem popped up again. So it appears that some of the cookies installed by a YouTube video page break the video interface.

It does look like a bug introduced with the most resent Brave update.

1 Like

@paravantis,
Can you try removing that extension and clearing cache/browsing data in the browser? Simply visit youtube.com, click the “lock” icon in the address bar, then Site settings --> Clear data?

Also, in a private window, does youtube work as expected the whole time or does it also start showing the same behavior after a while?

1 Like

In a private window, YouTube works as expected even after refreshing a page (repeatedly).

I removed the Cookie Remover extension and cleared YouTube data in the exact manner you suggested. Right after that, a YouTube video worked correctly (like when clearing data through Cookie Remover) then broke when I refreshed the video page.

@paravantis,
I’m wondering if it might be necessary to clear all cache/browsing data in the browser as it clearly has something to do with cookies set or stored cache. I know that’s a bit of a hassle/undesirable but there’s a good chance this will resolve the issue. It explains why it works as intended in a Private browsing window.

Already tried that, clearing all data except passwords and sign-in data. No effect on the issue.

I even uninstalled and reinstalled Brave, again to no avail. As soon as sync was completed, the same problem cropped up.

Thinking that the problem appeared just today, and there is at least one other user (see post above) who faces the same issue, does point to a bug.

1 Like

Can you sign out of youtube and then re-sign in?

Signing out and resigning in corrected the problem momentarily.

As soon as I refreshed a video page, the same problem appears with all videos.

ill add that the problem is intermittent, sometimes I can interact with the video, and then sometimes ill load up a video and I cant engage with the youtube interface…

@youbet,
It may also be worth trying to disable Hardware Acceleration – it doesn’t seem like the culprit in this particular case but it’s certainly worth a shot.

Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

1 Like

I have kept hardware acceleration disabled for years now.

Good news! New Brave version, 1.30.89 Chromium: 94.0.4606.81 (Official Build) (64-bit), problem corrected! That was fast! Much indebted to the developers and the Brave community!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.