Cannot add new favorite top site

When typing in the name, don’t use your mouse at all, the name field is already highlighted when you try to edit a site, so just start typing the new name you want and then just hit the “enter” key on your keyboard alone.
As for the top sites showing old websites you can to try to restore all your frequently visited sites. First make sure your top sites is set to show frequently visited sites.
Then try to delete one of the sites and then click “restore all” from the banner that comes up. Then visit the site you’d like to add (make sure you are going directly to the site URL you want, and not just searching for it and clicking a link from the search results) and come back to the new tab, and delete unwanted sites until the one you want comes up, then try editing it like I said above.
You might need to refresh the new tab page to see the site you visited show up.
Remember to swap back the top sites back to showing favorite sites and not frequently visited ones after editing the site you want.
Hopefully this will work until Brave fixes the issue.

1 Like

OK. Now it worked. Probably the omitting of mouse movements made it work.
Thanks anyhow.

No problem, hopefully they fix this issue soon.

1 Like

Hi

Try using the TAB button instead of mouse; And ENTER to save URL.

3 Likes

This is alot easier, thank you!

Having same issue. Its been doing this for about 2 weeks

1 Like

I have the same issue. Can’t add new favorite top site.

1 Like

@Sim1000 and @Puluihu check out I cannot manually add websites to the the Top Sites section on my dashboard - #4 by Saoiray

@Saoiray How is what you posted in your post above different from what @CerealLover posted? I did not see the difference or any additional information in the link you provided.

Cannot add new favorite top site - #14 by CerealLover (post #14 above)
I can't add favorite sites on my new tab - #3 by Crimsonmage21 (linked topic in post #14 above)

Additional information in topic linked by @CerealLover

This is rather a workround than a solution while waiting for a solution in the next Brave update.
Fortunately, the workaround is very simple: do not use mouse to move from NAME to URL , instead use TAB button.
Use ENTER to save!

fav

1 Like
  1. It doesn’t matter.
  2. If you want to be technical, I posted in mine 11 hours ago where they posted 8 hours ago.
  3. People don’t read, hence where Sim1000 commented here to say they have the same issue, despite there being a response above.

So someone had an issue and I repeated. It shouldn’t be an issue where you want to throw a tantrum here.

@Saoiray @Saoiray ok. I was wondering if I should add it to User Solutions: Brave Release 1.40.x topic as another workaround, but couldn’t see where if offered any additional information. I just repeated information so you wouldn’t have to bounce back and forth.

Also from User Solutions: Brave Release 1.40.x topic

Try This: Community Member Solutions and Workarounds
Overview & Warnings

In many cases, these solutions or workarounds have been posted by several different people over time. I just picked up the one I ran across first and tried to use posts with screenshots. No disrespect intended to users who may have posted earlier.

That statement is in the Try This section but applies overall too.

1 Like

Ok, sorry. Still sore from the past where you got mad at me as I shared things, especially if you had already commented in that topic thread. I was assuming you were going down that same path. I’ll try not to be so defensive if you ask similar in the future.

That was in a private DM and I think there were other issues involved that I do not care to discuss openly in the community forum.

Brave GitHub issue reports recently opened. No movement, but probably won’t be until after the weekend.

Unbelievable!
Thanks a lot for the advice!
To the developers: Is it possible to fix the function so that I can click with the mouse?

Thanks for this. It is indeed clunky, and I’m not at all certain why the original functionality no longer works. In my case, I was adding my “Google Calendar” and changed the name to be simply “Calendar”. One added point, as mentioned above, when editing the name, I found I was unable to save using the mouse. The dialog simply dismissed with no changes. So, more specifically, I had to tab over to the save button and hit enter.

Update: it appears on github that the issue is now closed and a browser update fixes the problem.

@dougp01 The cause is actually reported in a pull request at Brave GitHub. The fix is currently in Brave Nightly 1.42.x.

Resolves brave/brave-browser#23685, brave/brave-browser#23689

This fixes two issues with the add/edit site dialog:

1. The dialog would show under the grid sites.
  2. The dialog would close when clicking on a field (because the click would be handled by the layer above it).

Screen recording of Top Sites dialogue working with mouse clicks on Brave Nightly version 1.42.39. First time in years I’ve used a screen recording tool. Be kind. :wink:

TopSitesWorkingNightly

Off-topic information below but compelled to share. lol

I used a screen recording program linked in the Useful Screenshot and Screen Recording tools to capture on-screen behavior topic in the Help Center and Resources/Community Resources category. Super easy to use! I have avoided using screen recordings in topics before because of past, and very painful, experiences with various screen recording tools. This was a breeze. Nice share by Brave support staff. Thank-you! :smiley:

Screen Recording

LICEcap
(Windows, macOS)
Free, open source application used to capture and record screen activity. Many Brave employees use this due to its simplicity and quick production.

1 Like

I found a possible workaround to this issue.
Rather than clicking the add button by mouse use tabs instead.
First enter the title, press tab, then write the url, press tab twice. The add button would be highlighted, then press enter.
Rec-Screen-1]

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.