Cannot access "Advanced Settings" in "Settings" menu

Description of the issue:
When opening Settings, the first page that comes up, “Get started”, provides no way to get to “Advanced Settings”.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open browser.
  2. From context menu in upper right hand corner, select “Settings”.
  3. Resulting page does not provide any way to proceed to “Advanced Settings”.

Expected result:
The Settings “Get started” page should have a column on left side with a list of clickable destinations, including “Advanced settings”.

Brave version:
Version 1.40.113 Chromium: 103.0.5060.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional information:**

The screenprint is of what comes up when clicking on “Settings” in context menu.

1 Like

@Snplus1F468

In a Brave Browser > New Window, go to: brave://settings/security?search=Advanced

289wk,

Thanks for the quick response.
I see that I can get to “Advanced settings” by using the Search function and I was able to resolve my settings there. Thanks.
But for over a year, the first page that came up in Settings, “Get started”, had a list you could click on to go straight to “Advanced settings”, and many others, without having to Search. And now that list is gone.
I was trying to find out why it stopped working and how I could get it back, as it provides very quick access.

Thank you for your help.

@Snplus1F468

Create bookmarks

@Snplus1F468 Hi and welcome to the community. :slightly_smiling_face:

The options not displaying is strange. The options should definitely be displayed without you having to jump through hoops! That list is a standard display as far as I know.

Have you tried reinstalling Brave? You can go to the Brave official download page and just reinstall using the installer. You shouldn’t lose any data, but just in case you do, you should back up the Brave-Browser folder. You can find this folder on windows at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser. You can restore this folder from back up if needed. Please post if you need help and/or run into any problems.

Other things you might try (catchall type troubleshooting) to see if the action solves the problem or to check if the issue is related to just your current profile.

1. Clear history/cache for all time in the Advanced tab at brave://settings/clearBrowserData, exit the browser, and reopen.
  2. Disabling any extensions and/or opening a new private window to check if extensions are the problem
  3. Creating a test profile (delete after check if you want or just leave, up to you! :slightly_smiling_face:)
  4. Installing Brave Beta and see if the problem is still present in that version

Hope this helps! Please post an update after you troubleshoot. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Snplus1F468,
I think you may just be zoomed in on the Settings screen. Can you go to Settings then open the main menu and hit the “minus” symbol (zoom out) option a time or two and see if the options on the left side of the screen appear? Should look like what you see below:

Ooooh. Didn’t even occur to me! I hope that is all it is. :crossed_fingers:

@Chocoholic

Your ‘The options’ . . . does that refer to the OP:

the first page that came up in Settings, “Get started”, had a list you could click on to go straight to “Advanced settings”

I have never encountered:

the first page that came up in Settings, “Get started”, had a list you could click on to go straight to “Advanced settings”

So I am wondering, what you have apparently and often find?

@289wk Hope this is what you are asking! If not, please clarify. :slightly_smiling_face:

When enter brave://settings in the address bar, the OP is seeing this:

AFAIK, when I or anyone else enters brave://settings in the address bar, we see this:

@Chocoholic , @Snplus1F468

In your screenshots - there is no “Advanced settings” selection, about which the OP has written. The OP focus is upon:

Settings > Get Started > “Advanced settings” (missing in action)

1 Like

Oh, I see. This is how I interpreted OP request. It may just be language and local usage related. And maybe I interpreted wrong! Who knows. lol

Anyway, my reasoning follows. :slightly_smiling_face:

“OP sees only “Getting Started” options when opening brave://settings but OP should be seeing all options (advanced settings/ options) when opening brave://settings and not just the “Getting Started” ones.”

Edit: So, my interpretation of the problem was not that he couldn’t find the “Advanced Settings” option but the base problem was that NO options were displaying on the left as is standard.

@Chocoholic

I understand your reasoning.

But the OP was insisting - his/her wording (my screenshot of same) - the 'list of clickable destinations, including “Advanced settings” (selection that is missing):

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 3.01.34 PM

So, I was following that guidance and figured that the Windows OS version of Brave Browser > Settings are different than on my Mac OS version.

Ah. I see. Makes sense to me! I think the problem has definitely been addressed from all angles now! :laughing:

Apologies to the OP for the side-topic. Hopefully, the zoom check will work and that solves any issues you may have. Please post an update. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think I’ve figured out the problem. The problem isn’t that anything is zoomed in too much (as I had done no zooming to begin with). It appears to be a bug (and I mean that literally as this cannot possibly be a feature) where if the window is not “wide enough”, it just doesn’t bother to display the full sidebar of destinations. No matter how “narrow” or “not wide enough” the window is, that sidebar of sub-destinations should be visible.

To that end, how would someone go about reporting this bug so that someone can do something about it?

1 Like

@killermist I can reproduce what you are reporting. You would expect to be unable to resize the window at some point or have a scroll bar at the bottom allowing you to view the rest of the content. The funny thing is that not all the header options are working the same. Settings and Bookmarks didn’t display a scrollbar at one point but are now but the scrollbar does not display all the information as expected. Brave Rewards and History are working as expected. This doesn’t impact Downloads and Wallet. Well, I don’t have any info in Downloads to test. So, the display is not working consistently or as expected for all options. I also think this is a problem.

However, I don’t think this applies to OP. In the screenshot, the window appears to be maximized. When I maximize my window it takes up the full screen available. In my case, I can actually reproduce OP display if I set zoom from the Hamburger menu to 175%. So, I think if OP tries what Mattches suggested, the problem may be fixed!

You could create a Brave GitHub issue report. Make sure you follow the template and test in other Brave versions to see if the problem occurs in those versions also. I tested on my side and the issue is occurring in both Beta and Nightly for me.

Also, you should search and see if you find any issues already open before creating a new issue report. I searched issues but couldn’t find anything related but you may since my search criteria is usually not that great. lol

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.