Can #disable-direct-write flag be added?

Can #disable-direct-write flag be added to brave://flags page?
I’ve heard Chrome had removed this in 2017, but it’s still accessible on Chromium 72.0.3626.121 (Cent Browser latest version).

So far Brave browser is the only one that doesn’t work with mactype font renderer. Font’s are ugly and with jagged edges, especially when lower than 100% page zoom.

Brave

Chrome (also looks similar on Vivaldi and Opera; FF has even smoother fonts)

1 Like

bumping this thread, because this seems to be an issue with brave browser itself.

@username1,
Thanks for reaching out.
Just curious – do you know for sure that this flag is the cause of the issue (and how do you know)? Not that I don’t believe you, but I want to make sure I understand your thinking here.

1 Like

@Mattches

I’m no expert on this, but
I know this because by disabling windows internal rendering (#disable-direct-write), mactype can fully hook into browser’s exe and render fonts.

Without this option, right now it seems impossible to get mactype working on Brave. I’ve tried many settings, dev and regular Brave, nothing has worked.

Since 2017 chromium-based browsers do not have #disable-direct-write anymore, but mactype has some kind of different way to partly hook into browser, and Brave is the only browser (for some reason), where it doesn’t work (which is the main problem here). Have tried Chrome, FF, Vivaldi, Opera, etc - works everywhere.

Many Chinese and Japanese users have this software because it improves rendering a lot on those characters.

2 Likes

@username1,
Thanks for the information. Let me reach out to the team to see if they have a workaround to suggest and get input on including/surfacing this flag in further releases.

1 Like

Japanese fonts really do look bad in Brave. Definitely need some work around if this browser is to be used in Asia.

1 Like

@Mattches

Are there any updates?

Latest Brave Dev (0.66.76), and still something in Brave is blocking MacType injection.

Hi, I’m one of the devs of MacType.

Thank you for creating an amazing browser! Just chiming in with my 2c…

Unfortunately DirectWrite doesn’t render Chinese or Japanese or character fonts at all well. MacType does address this, and has 10,000+ users globally.

We would love for Brave to support MacType and are happy to work with Brave to accomplish this. I can tell you with certainty, enabling the #disable-direct-write from Chromium will enable MacType to be fully supported. There is currently one Chromium-based browser that still supports this flag, and works perfectly.

Any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me either on here or via the MacType project https://github.com/snowie2000/mactype/releases.

SammiLucia

2 Likes

It would be great if we could have this option. here’s the commit removing GDI rendering from chromium: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/1acd6b6af8c9ef59fe7227faff4585310e5c2ec8

Is there still no update on this?

Nope. Not at all. Sorry, bud.