Built in Importer doesn't import data correctly

I’m having this issue with version Version 0.67.124 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1. Importing from Chrome User 1 from Chrome 76.0.2809.87
  2. I have tried importing all data as well as just bookmarks with the same result
  3. None were imported as best as I can tell
  4. I did try just importing bookmarks as that is all that I really needed
  5. OS is MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 - Brave version noted above as 0.67.124

I had also tried to export/import HTML which seemed to complete (got a confirmation dialog) but then Brave became unresponsive as before. It appears as though these bookmarks were imported as they showed up after force quitting Brave and restarting.

1. What browser were you attempting to import from?

Firefox 68.0.2 (64-bit)

1. Where you attempting to import all browsing data, or only certain select data? That is – which check boxes were checked when you attempted import?

All data (bookmarks,passwords, etc…)

1. Of the data selected to be imported, which data (checked boxes) were successfully imported?
    none of them

2. Did you try to import selecting only one box at a time? If so, did this work for any of them?

Yes. I did one by one… nothing!

1. Operating System and Brave version (as always)

Windows 10 x64 1903

1. What browser were you attempting to import from?
    Firefox 69.0 (64-bit)

2. Where you attempting to import all browsing data, or only certain select data? That is – which check boxes were checked when you attempted import?
    All data, bookmarks, passwords and autofills. Worked fine when i switched from chrome to Firefox about a year ago… Wanted to try this new browser, from this thread it seems there is no way to import my data. And thats kind of a deal breaker for me.

3. Of the data selected to be imported, which data (checked boxes) were successfully imported?
    Nothing.

4. Did you try to import selecting only one box at a time? If so, did this work for any of them?
    Yes, still nothing.

5. Operating System and Brave version (as always)
    Win10x64 1903, Brave Version 0.68.132 Chromium: 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I’ll be glad for a even for a workaround, and explanation on how to manually export passwords, autofill, history and cookies and manually importing them to Brave. (bookmarks are not a real problem, its just an annoyance that such a basic feature in a browser doesn’t actually work…

lets just admit that this feature does not work. I have installed brave on three machines so far, two Macs and one Windows, and this feature has failed on all of them.

@MDanihy,
While I understand your frustration, the assertion that it simply “does not work” is inaccurate. There are cases/situations in which it doesn’t work, absolutely – this is what we’re working on and why we’re gathering data on the issue. We appreciate your patience as we work on this and the several other high priority issues we have open.

Afternoon

1. I am trying to import from Chrome
  2. I tried to import all items
  3. Nothing was successful
  4. I did try to import each individually nothing worked
  5. Windows 10 and Brave 1.7.92 Chromium 80.0.3987.163

@mrgrinch,
Did it say that the import was successful and then no items were added to the browser? Or was there an error of some kind displayed?

I would recommend un/reinstalling the browser – assuming you didn’t see any errors and it seemed to work, a reinstall might do the trick. I’m testing on my end to see if I can reproduce as well.

No I just got the error to close all chrome windows and try again. Nothing was open, I even restarted and had brave as the first and only thing open and still had the error. The other browsers bookmarks and favorites were able to import.

I did 2 reinstalls and still the import will not work.

@mrgrinch,
Can you try again, but open the OS task manager and ensure that no chrome processes of any kind are running? This includes any “helper” processes or “renderer” processes, etc.

I think something finally clicked, it seems to have worked

1 Like