Built in Importer doesn't import data correctly

From another Community topic

Description of the issue:

I have just migrated from Chrome to Brave and used the “import settings” to import my Chrome stuff. Favourites and other things have imported, but saved passwords did not which is killerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Download and install Brave
  2. Menu
  3. Settings
  4. Import
  5. Select Chrome profile
  6. Make sure that “Passwords” is enabled for import

Actual Result:

Check “Saved Passwords” and see nothing is in there :sob:

Expected result:

Chrome saved passwords should also import, not just favourites.

Reproduces how often:

Every time I retry importing!

Brave Version:

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

Yes

Worth me also noting - no errors are thrown at all - the import appears to be successful as far as the UI is concerned.

Further detail from the same community thread:

The import was the first thing I did - I had not browsed to any other pages before trying to import.

OS Version: 1703
OS Build: 15063.1631

Importing passwords from: Chrome 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Let me know if you need any other info - all bookmarks came through fine, it looks like it’s just the passwords that didn’t :frowning_face:

I just tried this - on my Windows 10 machine (where I’ve had Brave installed for a couple of days now) it did not work at all. I tried:

• Importing individual tickboxes
  • Importing all tickboxes
  • Importing just passwords

No change in the passwords at all. I even tried with Brave being the ONLY application open on the machine… no success :frowning: despite it giving me the big blue tick - I have all my bookmarks though!

I just did a fresh install of Brave on my MacOS Mojave (10.14.3) machine (never had Brave on it before), closed all browsers first, then launched Brave and did the import and it worked perfectly (it’s probably worth having an instruction pop-up first to say “close all browsers before importing”?)!

Any ideas what I can do to get the import to now work on my Windows 10 machine (I don’t sync between the two - one’s a personal machine, one’s a work machine).

1 Like