Built in Google Tracking Extension

Apologies if I mis-tagged this

Description of the issue:
As was shown through this post, most chromium based browsers have a built in, hidden extension that reports CPU usage only while on *.google.com websites. When testing it, I can confirm that this hidden extension is enabled in Brave

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Go to any *.google.com website
  2. Paste this command into the browser console
    chrome.runtime.sendMessage(
    “nkeimhogjdpnpccoofpliimaahmaaome”,
    { method: “cpu.getInfo” },
    (response) => {
    console.log(JSON.stringify(response, null, 2));
    },
    );
    (might need to rightclick & select paste as plain text for it to work)
  3. Observe the result

Expected result:
Nothing/error out

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.67.123 Chromium: 126.0.6478.126 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
n/a

You can turn the extension off by disabling the Hangouts extension in brave://settings/extensions.

This extension used to be required for Brave users to be able to use Google Hangouts/Meet [1, 2] but that doesn’t seem to be true any more. At this point, it looks like it’s solely used for WebRTC logging and debugging purposes, and we made sure to disable the log uploading to Google.
We have disabled the extension by default and eventually will just remove it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the swift response, and its great to hear that you all have already limited it!

Thank you for the response on that. However, I replied to another post regarding this because the search function at the top of the community didn’t return any results when I search for hangout or hidden hangout or hidden extension. I would have just read this instead of replying to the other one if I could have found it. Any suggestions to make my searches more effective?