Built-In Form Recovery

If web page content cache is important, how much more important is form content?

This seems to be an oversight in all browsers.

While it may make sense to restrict caching of some form fields (password, credit card number, etc.) it makes sense to cache form fields as a general rule. This is true, not only because form submissions routinely fail, but because providing intelligent form completion requires a database – preferably specific to the user.

The Lazarus form recovery browser plugin could be used as a model implementation but it suffers from some deficiencies that may be correctable as a built-in function of the browser. The most glaring such deficiency is the interference between password management form completion (such as LastPass) and the Lazarus plugin. The relationship between such form completion mechanisms may require browser-level arbitration.

I just suffered a Brave-only destruction of form data that – were there a form cache built into Brave, would have been highly appropriate.

The reddit “Create A Subreddit” form is quite lengthy if one bothers to enter all fields and compose their text box contents with due care. I spent an hour doing this.

When I submitted the form, it did nothing. That’s when I realized I needed to put the shield down for reddit.com. However, upon switching to shield down, the form replotted and all my work was erased – and could not be recovered by the browser-back arrow.

This is something that uniquely afflicts Brave users and adds substantial impetus to a built-in form cache in the case of the Brave browser.

The prior two messages, in combination with the LastPass customer support declaration that it doesn’t support the Brave browser, would point to a strategic path in the Brave roadmap creating a unified form-completion, form recovery and password management system that works for Brave and is a plugin for other browsers.

Many people may be more prone to trust their privacy to a system whose architecture is the product of the Brave culture.