Bug: When switching to Brave Browser, instead of last used window, last created window show up

Description of the issue:
I’m on an M1 Mac.
If I have multiple windows open in Brave, when I switch to Brave from some other application, then the last created window is focused instead of the last used window.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Launch Brave
  2. Open at-least two windows. (No. of tabs or the websites opened won’t affect the behaviour)
  3. Go to the first created Brave window. (Or any other window that is not created last)
  4. Open up some other application (say Finder).
  5. Now switch to Brave using (Cmd+Tab) or by clicking on the icon in the Dock.
  6. If Brave and the other application are in separate desktops, then swipe across desktops to reach Brave.
  7. Notice that the last created window is focused.

Expected result:
The window that I was recently working on should be focused.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.26.67 Chromium: 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (arm64)

Additional Information:
I’m using MacOS BigSur 11.4
I’ve been seeing this behaviour for a long time since the first official build of Brave for ARM arch and also since MacOS BigSur 11.0.
Hoped this would be fixed in subsequent updates and patches. But wasn’t fixed yet. So raising this bug.

+1 to this.

When I have multiple windows opened, and cmd-TAB to another app, whenever I come back to Brave browser, it always shows the last created window which is most often not the last one used.
Quite frustrating.

1 Like

I don’t know why Brave developers aren’t taking this issue seriously.

@Saroopashreem @think,
I’m wondering if this has to do with the M1 builds specifically – on my end (using macOS)this behavior works as expected:

1. Open a Brave window and visit some sites.
  2. Open a second Brave window.
  3. Navigate to the first Brave window and “use” it (visit a site, open a new tab, etc). First window is now last used window.
  4. Switch to a different app (tested with Finder, Slack and Spotify apps)
  5. Use cmd + tab to switch back to Brave.

When I perform the above, it always opens to the last used tab, as expected. I also tested this on Windows just in case and see the same behavior. Do either of you have any extensions installed that may be affecting this behavior?

@Mattches, I don’t think the extensions are the problem. Maybe it is only happening in the M1 build.

Now I have upgraded Brave to this version:
Version 1.26.77 Chromium: 91.0.4472.164 (Official Build) (arm64)

And I haven’t seen the issue in quite a while. Can anyone confirm if this issue has been fixed by the developers?

@Saroopashree,
The last two browser updates were fairly minor, but there’s a chance the issue was resolved in the Chromium update. Please let me know if the issue returns.

1 Like

This issue is not specific to M1 / ARM - I’m having the same issue on my Intel MacBook Pro 16"

Version 1.27.109 Chromium: 92.0.4515.115 (Official Build) (x86_64)
MacOS Big Sur 11.5

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.