[BUG?] The size of updates

This is on my Galaxy S9+ Android 10

Happens on every update, brave update size is x10-x20 times the size of Chrome update.

Constantly getting 80-90MB updates every time on every Android device I own.

1 Like

this on my Galaxy A30s

This on my A50, Android 11

this on my Galaxy A30S
happens every update.
why no attention given to this?

something needs to change
who should be notified about this?

1 Like

every update, EVERY UPDATE is around 80mb or more.
on different devices I own.
every update.
something is being done incorrectly with the update procedure or submitting of the update to the Play store.

this should be brought to the attention of the development team or whoever can do something about it.

@Pringles,
We do have an open issue to investigate this:

1 Like

Good job for single-handedly bringing this to Brave’s attention.

1 Like

Can anyone who is seeing this large download size also please tell me the Android version they’re using when they see this? I see a few users have reported Android 10 and 11 but would be helpful having some more input on this.

Galaxy S9+ Android 10

48 MB in Nightly, last updated 2 days ago, in Android 11.

1 Like

Samsung Galaxy A50 Android 11

I left an answer inside the GH issue https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/25778#issuecomment-1282763954. Let me know if you have other questions.

@Serg So does it mean, although Chrome shows small file size for updates, another part of the file gets downloaded sometime, somewhere in the background? Or we don’t know how google does that.

@Aman_M yes, they do it silently in the background at least with each Chrome or Android system WebView update. It could be more often, as they can replace that trichromelibrary without any actual updates. The size of libmonochrome.so, which is a core part of Chrome and Brave as well and which is inside trichromelibrary that Google updates silently, is ~100Mb.

Hmm. I’m sure I’ve seen webview download notification that comes & goes on it’s own possibly some others as well. I don’t have stock Android, so it can be different than others. Nevertheless, nice way of Google to exploit it’s monopoly.

1 Like

Can someone compare to other browsers ?
Firefox, opera …

Even ignoring the huge difference in update size between brave and Chrome, why does every brave update has to be 80 MB to 90 MB ??