Bug Report: Many Medium.com pages cause 100% CPU Usage

Description of the issue:
When visiting quite a few pages (not sure if it’s all) on medium.com my computer begins to spin 1 CPU as 100% and the page becomes unresponsive or will not display.

The other
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Simply visiting one of these pages reproduces the issue reliably on my machine. Here is one such example page: https://medium.com/golangspec/scopes-in-go-a6042bb4298c

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
I’ve seen the issue manifest in a few different ways.

Sometimes the page appears to load correctly, and the CPU usage spikes a few seconds afterward, and I receive the dialog to Wait or Kill page.

Sometimes the page appears to partially load and then gets stuck halfway down.

The other way is that the page does not load at all, and I see the loading icon spin infinitely.

Behavior does not change with shields up or down.

Expected result:
The page will load correctly.

Reproduces how often:
100% of the time on any broken page I find.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G4032)

Brave Version 1.8.96 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Additional Information:

@deviator,
Thanks for reaching out.
So on my end, I do not see this same spike – any medium.com page (including the one you shared) seems to render and the site seems to use an expected amount of resources.

I’m wondering if you have any extensions installed at this time? If so, can you try disabling them (temporarily) and see if that changes the sites behavior? My thinking is that one of them is conflicting with the site and causing some background shenanigans.

1 Like

That’s a very good point. Embarassed I didn’t think of it myself. I will disable each of them individually and report back.

The culprit appears to be my dashlane extension. Not sure why, as I’m already logged into the site, but there you have it.

2 Likes

@deviator,
Very stange behavior, but I’m glad you got it figured out. I’ll report it to the team – you might want to inform Dashlane support as well :slight_smile: