Bug report for shield settings in Tor mode

bug
privacy
tor

Description of the issue:
When disabling scripts in the global shields settings in Tor mode, any website I use still gets loaded with scripts allowed.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. open new window with Tor
  2. open settings
  3. under shield preferences, enable script blocking
  4. open a random website within Tor mode
  5. click the brave icon to view shields
  6. see scripts being allowed

Expected result:
If I enable script blocking in the general shields settings, they should be blocked on every new site I visit.

Reproduces how often:
Every single time.

Brave Version(about:brave):
Newly released version 0.60.45 Chromium: 72.0.3626.109 (official build) (64-bit) on Mac version 10.11.6 El Capitan

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
yeah

2 Likes

@BraveNew,
Appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Report looks great btw! :ok_hand:

This is actually a known issue that we’re currently working on. Looks like it has P2 label and has made good progress so this should be addressed mayyyyybe in the next update, if not the one after. Issue can be tracked here:

I’ve added your report to the thread as well on your behalf.

2 Likes

Let me lend another vote to this issue. This bug could have serious consequences for a political dissident or whistleblower who thinks they are anonymous, but are actually having their IP revealed by javascript.

If it can not be fixed in the next release, can a warning at least be added to the Tor new tab screen, warning that global script blocking is broken?

1 Like

Agree that this should be the minimum.
It wasn’t fixed in the new release and no warning can be seen anywhere.
This is reckless tbh. Brave is supposed to be a privacy protecting browser yet this bug does the exact opposite and does so persistently for months now without a warning.
Come on guys.

closed #5

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.