Bug Notice: BAT disappearing from balance after upgrade to Brave v1.3

Dear Brave Community,

We would like to acknowledge an issue where users are seeing their Brave Rewards BAT balances suddenly decrease, and another related issue where BAT from a single wallet (which is restored into multiple browsers) is not reflected equally across browsers.

Background

In v1.3 of Brave, we introduced a new system, based on “blinded tokens” and Privacy Pass, to make the BAT tokens in your wallet even more private and untraceable. This change means that claimed BAT persists client-side and allows us to fully deprecate our legacy Brave Rewards privacy protocol.

While making this change, we had to build a legacy system translation service that would automatically create “blinded token BAT” in your browser in order to transition from the legacy system to the new “blinded tokens” architecture. However, it seems that some legacy BAT is not working as expected with this service, leading to an issue where the Brave Rewards wallet balance—which is configured to detect “blinded token BAT”—suddenly appears to decrease.

We are actively working to fix this issue and will roll out an update soon. So far, we believe no BAT will be lost (though we will issue BAT reimbursements in excess of any losses), and will need to upgrade both the Brave browser client and our servers in order to support legacy BAT as intended.

Wallet Syncing

In addition, we would like to note that from v1.3 onwards, as a result of the new protocol described above, users will no longer be able to share wallets by restoring the same recovery phrase into multiple browsers. The backup and restore functionality was meant to protect against potential data loss events, not for sharing wallets across browsers. With that in mind, we are working toward a proper Rewards sync feature for users who would like to share their Brave Rewards data across their browsers. In the meantime, you can always back up and sync your Brave Rewards balances using the Verified Wallets feature, which involves connecting an Uphold account to Brave Rewards. This is currently available on desktop, and soon for mobile.

We sincerely apologize and are working hard to issue a hotfix. If you were affected, please connect with Brave support at [email protected] and include the information from your brave://rewards-internals (chrome://rewards-internals on Android) page so that we can use your history to better understand this legacy BAT issue.

Making up for lost BAT

Rest assured that Brave will make good if any BAT is lost, and then some. Stay tuned as we work towards a fix.

Thank you for your understanding,

—Brave Rewards Team

15 Likes

I possibly have experienced this however sadly

My brave wallet reset to zero. A restore via the phrase does nothing, in terms of bringing back my bat

6 Likes

I have a similar issue… I have a browser/wallet on my home PC that is registered with uphold.
At work I restored the wallet and it says it was successful but i have no BAT tokens in it , although i sould since it’s the same wallet as i have home .
Also , i can’t verfiy this wallet with uphold at work with the same account i’ve registered home… it fails saying “Your request is still being processed” and then the request fails.

Is this too a know issue ?
I expected we could share the same wallet / uphold account across multiple PCs …

2 Likes

Hi, I have some bats in my cabinet at brave creators but my Uphold wallet is empty. I updated the latest version of my browser to 1.3 but it didnt help.
THX!

3 Likes

I lost over 60 bat bc of these updates. None of my tips registered on my tips pages but the bat was subtracted and more bat kept disappearing every other time I opened my wallet. Til my wallet reached 0 bat which is where my balance is now.
Thank you, team, for working on this issue.

4 Likes

How soon?

I’ve been reading soon since the beginning of 2019… I hope you understand that Android phones are much more prone to be “lost” than desktops (phone dies or get stolen, or crashes forever or simply user changes it/buys new one) - yet you enabled Backup wallet feature for Desktop only.

I also expect that you enable Uphold wallet storage for Android too. (yet another feature available only 4 Desktop, where we can link up to three Brave browsers, but unfortunately - again: Desktop only)

So much favoring of Desktop in a mobile oriented world… )-;

5 Likes

i emailed [email protected] a couple days ago and have yet to receive back a response from anyone yet…

3 Likes

There are a Spanish version?

2 Likes

So, I sent an email 5 days ago as directed by Asad with the pertinent internals information to resolve my missing BAT issue and have not gotten a response. How long does this process take ?

4 Likes

same thing happening with me here…

1 Like

any update on this issue yet? I have lost over 200 BAT because my ssd took a crap and after trying to recover my wallet I ran into this issue im guessing… since i had to download the new version. I tried reaching out for help but the mod assisting is not answering DM’s really hope I have not lost over $100 in this mess. Very disappointing to say the least

2 Likes

I see the issues haven’t been fixed yet.
My Uphold Wallet still shows 0 BAT since December 2019, while my Brave Creator Dashboard shows some amount of BAT from people reward to my verified sites (some of them were my friend, so I know exactly there are fund). Usually the fund automatically goes to my Uphold Wallet. Now, for 2-3 months, it doesn’t.

With all apologize, The longer you let it happen without fixed, the less trust people would have on Brave, BAT, Uphold, and everything related.

I believe Brave Team is working seriously hard including to fix this, but please don’t be too long. I hope you can fix this problem as soon as possible.

TBH, I started to doubting BAT, Brave and Uphold. I started to feel sorry I ‘promoted’ and referenced BAT, Brave & Uphold to my family & friends. Now I stop promoting to see the progress in the not so long future. If this problem cannot be fixed too long, I will tell my family & friends to stay away. Sorry.

4 Likes

Everything its frozen in Brave Rewards. Bats, Downloads, Install, Confirmed, you have to fix it or you will lost all your publishers. We woking so hard to buid a stabil marketing and generate some tokens. i have the youtube channel i advertise brave on every my video until the 29 febrary i have 30-50 download per day, NOW EVERYTHING ITS FROZEN

2 Likes

Just lost 20 BAT. i had 22 now there is only 2

Yes, they should see this as a very serious problem that could potentially damage their reputation and credibility.

I truly hope this issue gets resolved rather sooner than later…

3 Likes

just got this months tokens.I checked my brave browser wallets. it says I have 111. I go to my uphold and i only have 64. why can i not access these 47 BAT still brave? it’s only 47…but i want them! they are mine and nobody else’s. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had 20 BAT tokens auto contribute to Brave themselves today at 21.12 pm, this has happened to me a 8 times. I had 45.141 BATS in total now I’ve only got 5.1 BAT.

Who do we contact to retrieve the token back?

3 Likes

do you have auto contribute turned off in the settings?

Auto contribute was turned on in the settings, but I always have if off.