Bugs on Ubuntu 21.10: Slow browser (solved) + can't upload files

Description of the issue:
Since I fresh installed the new Ubuntu 21.10 with the snap of Brave I can use the browser normally, however, when a open a new window manually, the browser gets extremely slow and unresponsive.

Steps to Reproduce:
Launch Brave
2. Open a new window
3. Test the overall browser responsiveness and notice how slow it gets.

Actual Result:
The browser gets extremely slow after the new window is opened; keys take time to press, the scroll is slow, and the clicking speed is awful.

Expected R esult:
The browser should work normally and in a responsive way.

Reproduces how often:
Always

Brave Version:
Brave 1.30.89 Chromium: 94.0.4606.81 (Build oficial) (64 bits)

Reproducible on current live release:
Yes

Additional information:
I’m using Ubuntu Desktop 21.10 (released yesterday). All the other programs work correctly and flawlessly.

I renamed this topic since this is not the only bug on Ubuntu 21.10, and probably for devs, it’s better to have them in the same place.

Bug #2
Description of the issue:
I can’t upload files to any page, the page crashes immediately.

Steps to Reproduce:
Launch Brave
2. Open a page that needs to upload a file
3. Try to upload a file and see how it doesn’t work

Actual Result:
The page crashes with code RESULT_CODE_KILLED_BAD_MESSAGE.

Expected R esult:
The file should be uploaded.

Reproduces how often:
Always

Brave Version:
Versión 1.31.87 Chromium: 95.0.4638.54

Reproducible on current live release:
Yes

1.31.87 is current, can you update it and see if the issue is still there?

Oh, I just noticed, looks like it was auto-updated at some point, just edited the 2nd bug. Currently, I have Versión 1.31.87 Chromium: 95.0.4638.54.

The good thing is that the slow browser problem was solved already, I just tested it on this version, the only remaining issue I’ve noticed for this Ubuntu version is the one for file uploading.

I tested Chrome on version 95.0.4638.54 too and doesn’t have the issue.

OK good.

For the upload issue:

Are you running any antivirus or 3rd party security apps on your system?

Also, do you have any extensions installed? If so, try disabling them all and see if the problem goes away.

If it’s still an issue, try in a Private window, and if necessary, in a new profile. This will help us localize the issue either to an extension, or something in your profile, vs. system-wide.

1 Like

Also, I noticed that here: https://brave.com/linux/

“while it is maintained by Brave Software, it is not yet working as well as our official packages. We currently recommend that users who are able to use our official package repositories do so instead of using the Snap.”

Any objection to just going with the Deb packaging?

1 Like

For the record I just tried uploading a sample text file to virustotal.com, using Brave in an Ubuntu 21.10 VM, and had no issue.

I installed Brave using the Ubuntu software app, it looks to me like it came from an official Ubuntu repo (didn’t spend a lot of time confirming), so you might want to try that instead of the Snap package if you can.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.