Browser won't open after clicking pop-up ad notification ... Requires task kill to reopen

Description of the issue:
Occurs on a system running Windows 10. If a pop-up notification for an advert is clicked when Brave is -NOT- running, the browser does not open in the foreground. Instead, the browser appears to open as a set of background process but cannot be opened / accessed. It has to killed in the task manager before it can be re-opened normally again … i.e., Clicking on the Brave icon after this problem occurs does nothing. There is no indication, other than finding Brave in Task Manager, that the browser is running in the background.

Not unexpectedly, upon reopening Brave after having killed the background processes, the “log in” screen is presented and an option is presented to restore the most recent tabs. The restore works as expected, but is unnecessary / unwanted since the browser would have previously been closed normally prior to these events.

Clicking on “Cancel” to dismiss the pop-up operates as expected … i.e., Brave browser does not try to open if it is not already running and no lock up is experienced. If Brave IS running, the pop-up is dismissed as expected as well.

Opening and closing the browser functions as expected in all other circumstances, including after dismissing / cancelling a pop-up notification.

Clicking on a pop-up while Brave is running operates as expected … i.e. a new tab appears with the site / advert displayed.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Click on a pop-up notification for an advert when Brave is -NOT- running. Browser does -NOT- open and will lock up.

Expected result:
I would expect clicking on an ad pop-up notification would cause the browser to start up and to display the page related to the ad.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.9.76 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Screen caps are attached showing the “normal” state when Brave is running … the process is shown in the foreground as a single “collapsed” line … and in the “locked up” state where individual processes are displayed as running in the background. Incidentally, these do not appear to be static as values change as would be expected if the browser is actually running, not frozen.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Victor

1 Like

I used to have the same problem with windows 10 although I was using laptop but I managed my problem after changing from windows 10 to windows 8,but windows 10 and 7 gave me a prolem,specially when coming to the browsers.

Addendum to my prior post …

Clicking on “Close” on a notification popup when Brave is NOT running causes the same problem to occur. I’ve also now seen this behavior on my laptop as well as my desktop, so it does not appear to be related to the specific machine.

I’m not sure about what I wrote above about clicking on “cancel” on a popup … it might be a different sort of prompt, I can’t confirm at the moment, but I’ll pay attention and will post again with more info as I have it.

Suffice to say, there is a major issue that occurs around interacting with ad notification popups when Brave isn’t running. They appear to cause Brave to initiate, but fail to complete a launch of the application and then leave it unresponsive and requiring that the task be killed in order to continue.

Thank you in advance for your attention. Should I expect some sort of acknowledgement that the problem is being investigated? I’ve heard nothing to date.

Regards,
Victor

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.