libchromiumcontent: 57.0.2987.133
V8: 5.7.492.71
Node.js: 7.4.0
Update Channel: dev
os.platform: win32
os.release: 10.0.14393
os.arch: x64

4 Tabs sets & 10 Tabs per set crashed more than once

I’d left the browser on for several hours and I’d allocated around 4 or 5 Tabs sets and set each set to allow 10 tabs so you can say I had around 50 maybe a few more tabs open, most of which hadn’t been opened meaning clicked on to load page. I can’t remember but I must have tired to open another tabs (i.e right-click to view later) and then the browser suddenly quit and reappeared under a minute later by itself with all the tabs gone.

I can’t stress enough how annoying this was because I have selected all options of ‘Clear the following data…on close.’ but don’t know whether this participated in not recovering all the tabs.

This occurred once before in almost identical circumstances and figured it was my fault for opening so many tabs but then saw in ‘Tabs Settings’ - ‘Number of tabs per tab set:’ you allow up to a hundred tabs.

If you are wondering why I allocated so much in the first place - bookmarking takes around ten seconds if not more just to save one tab in the designated folder and switching from one tab to the next only increases that time as you can’t bookmark ‘all’ tabs.
Secondly, bookmarking isn’t really the thing that was needed as I intended to go through the pages so I didn’t want the hassle of loading it by right-clicking link to another tab and go through the laborious process of saving tab after link and then loading the page from bookmark so using more bandwidth by loading it twice. Not just bandwidth of course as time is the proprietary reason.
Finally and thirdly which isn’t really a complain but Brave works effectively excluding the bugs and when you’re working you don’t really think an issue is going to occur any minute because compared to Chrome and Firefox it strangely functions discreetly and better despite running at 465-500MB in Processes (collectively).

Whether it be a built-in feature or extension for better and securer (so no loss of data due to a crash) I wish you the best.

Thanks.

Brave Freezes Completely after a while of non usage
Brave Memory usage and the future of tab consumption
Multiple Processes Being Started

Hey @Numpty, still seeing this in 0.17.19?

Hi @alex I wrote a reply on a similar topic which you liked titles ‘Brave Freezes…’ I’m sure you read the bottom comment so I really couldn’t tell you whether it still occurs like it did before as I’m avoiding opening more than two, maximum three tabs sets. However, if 0.17.19 came after I posted that comment it’s quite likely its not occurring as regularly as it did before.

However, I’ve noticed from the first time downloaded Brave and started using it, it seem the overall software/application is incredibly slow, slower than Chrome.
From viewing videos and general browsing it sort of feels like its about to crash but something prevents it from crashing and this is even more regular than the freezes and crashes.

@alex still seeing this as it just crashed again but this time not fully. I had 17 tabs opened in three tab sets, whilst viewing Register articles and noticed it wouldn’t switch to any of the other tabs except for the tab I was on. I was however able to click on any of the links within that page but was not able to manage the url.

Do you experience the crash when you input something or hit space bar while the browser freezes? I did twice today. Best,

This issues has occurred so many times I honestly can’t think if it’s something I’m doing wrong. It has to be a backend fault, no that I’m an expert.

Brave: 0.18.14
rev: ad92d029e184c4cff01b2e9f4916725ba675e3c8
Muon: 4.3.6
libchromiumcontent: 60.0.3112.78
V8: 6.0.286.44
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: dev
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
OS Release: 10.0.15063
OS Architecture: x64

Hi @suguru can you mention to the team that the current version listed above almost managed to fix it. By which I mean it was actually functioning brilliant for many hours until the issue finally struck.

I noticed after a couple hours of usage and having many tabs on display that I didn’t notice a problem which was strange because sometime there’s usually a flicker of some sort to indicate a crash/freeze is suddenly about to occur, not immediately but after some time while the browser is still active.

So having seen it working properly for the first time in a couple of months I increased the tabs set to 10 tabs per set and selected ‘preview on hover’ and it still was functioning brilliantly. I actually at what point for a couple of hours or so had around 70 tabs open if not more.
Then as I slowly started to peruse and close each tab reduced to 30-40 tabs, the freeze occurred.

I’ve enclosed a gif if it helps but I’d also like to state that I closed the monitor multiple times with the browser still active, I never once closed/quit the browser, so it was essentially on sleep mode and resuming the browser was seamless. It worked fine. To be quite honest, the browser though still on sleep mode must have been active for around 9 hours and on the 12th hour I created the Gif.

It would be nice to know if any work was actually done to fix this issue on the previous latest update because it was really performing quite well.

Do you find the freeze occurs per 5 minutes, as I experience it on my side?

https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/10094

I’m sorry @suguru you’ll have to clarify what you mean by ‘per 5 minutes’.

Also do you know whether a fix of some kind was implemented towards this issue on the latest update because it was really performing quite well up until the 12th hour, literally.

Furthermore, can you ask anyone if they know of any unique way of retrieving the tabs (URLs/links) that are about to be lost during the freeze.

performance fix has been implemented since some versions so I cannot say which fix improved the performance. Subscribe https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/9311 for future announcements.

on my pc the browser freezes for a couple of seconds each 5 minutes (12:55 -> 13:00 -> 13:05 for example). does that make it clear to you?

that issue is discussed on https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/5512

No, sorry, the per 5 minutes seems to be something you’re only experiencing otherwise it would have driven users crazy.

Nevertheless, I’ve again used the browser under similar circumstances and around the same time frame as stated above and it worked fine. I just kept the browser operated a couple of hours under the previous time. Not that I’m implying everything is okay because there are glitches in several aspects of the browser that can be annoying.

probably you’ll need to use the browser actively more than half year to store much data. I think not so many users have used the browser so much as I have, so they don’t experience the issue I assume.

@suguru do you want to know something hilarious. I just wanted to reply here saying you’re probably right, I’ve only used it close to seven months but still had a considerable amount of data stored and wanted to further reply, despite the fact I’ve got dozens of folders and hundreds of bookmarks, I’m glad I wasn’t the few that reported of missing bookmarks.

Well it it seems I’m now part of that special community because as I was about to give you the figures as to how many bookmarks I’ve got, I’ve just realized all my bookmarks are either gone or are missing. Help.

The perf issue with a lot of bookmarks will be fixed within 0.19, the next major update series.

Also the perf issue I have logged was fixed with the latest beta. Just fyi.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.