Browser shuts down when NordVPN connects or disconnects

Description of the issue:
Approximately a month ago, after everything was working fine for a long time, the browser would occasionally shutdown. Finally realized whenever NordVPN disconnects or connects VPN tunnel (NordLynx/wireguard) the browser shuts down immediately. When launched I restore tabs and am working again. VERY annoying.
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Start Windows 10 (Build 19044)
  2. NordVPN connect using Nordlynx protocol
  3. Launch Brave browser
  4. Disconnect NordVPN - Browser shuts down
  5. RELAUNCH Brave browser
  6. Connect NordVPN - Browser shuts down
    Repeatable always

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
No screenshots necessary IMO
Expected result:
n/a
Reproduces how often:
ALWAYS
Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 Build 19044
Brave: Version 1.38.111 Chromium: 101.0.4951.54 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Additional Information:
NordVPN client version: 6.45.8.0

Hi and welcome to the community. :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t help you with your issue. Sorry. :slightly_frowning_face:

Tagging @Herrvader another active community member who uses NordVPN and who may be able to help you with your issue! Hope so. :crossed_fingers:

Take care.

1 Like

Thanks @Chocoholic for that kind effort. Love your name - often how I describe myself ;). Hopefully Herrvader will chime in, if not someone else.

2 Likes

Ill be at my laptop in about an hour. Ill see if I can recreate the issue.

@jfazny

1. I am running the same version of windows, but according to Nord my VPN version is 6.36.6.0 and it says it is up to date.
  2. I turned off auto-connect and selected NordLynx.
  3. I followed your steps and could not recreate the browser crashing issue.
  4. I am also using the same version of Brave as you.
  5. I might suggest uninstalling Nord and re-installing.
  6. I DO NOT suggest at this point that you uninstall/re-install Brave as that will cause issue with your rewards.
  7. There is also a diagnostic tool on the advanced tab in Nord. You might try running that.

Please let me know what happens!

Would you mind sharing your other nord settings with me? Like cybersec and so on? I’d like to try and recreate with all the same settings as you.

@Herrvader Thanks for your help looking into this! Now I feel like an absolute more-on (site blocked me from posting this self-deprecating word about myself) for this and wasting anyone else’s time. While gathering screenshots of my NordVPN settings (to supply to you), I came across the Kill switch settings, and guess what was set to on? Yup App Kill switch with Brave browser inside it. I had made the change and was interrupted before I could test it and forgot I did it!
Still not sure about why our versions of NordVPN are so far off with both saying up to date??? Very strange. Thanks again and sorry to waste your time ;)!

2 Likes

Not a waste of time if your issue is fixed. That’s what the community is here for. Glad you’re up and running normally. And, now you know kill switch works! lol

1 Like

Since you solved your own issue, please mark your last post as the solution. This way the community knows that this issue has been resolved and can use it as a referrence for the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.