Browser permissions prevent iTerm focus stealing on macOS 12.6.1

Description of the issue:

This issue does appear to be unique to Brave. It does not affect my Chrome or Chromium browsers, or other desktop applications. It seems related, primarily to operating system permissions around Input and application focus mainly, and possibly to graphics & rendering on macOS. I noticed the issue, near as I can tell, when I upgraded to macOS 12.6.1.

I’m hoping that Brave users or developers might be more familiar with recent updates.

Similarly, I notice that opening “About this Mac” does not take focus from Brave, and renders behind Brave’s current primary (only) focused window.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. In iTerm, configure a hotkey for a Profile (Profiles > [pick one] > Keys > “A hotkey opens a dedicated window with this profile” / “Configure Hotkey Window”), ensure System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Input Monitoring allows iTerm.app.
  2. Verify the hotkey works, from Finder, Notes, System Preferences.
  3. Try in Brave

Expected result

iTerm window appears over the Brave window, and focus is transferred to iTerm.

Observed result

iTerm hotkey toggles window state, not directly visible and without taking focus. State of toggled window becomes apparent when moving focus to another application.

I’ve seen some passing rendering artifacts that show a wide box around System Preferences is rendered separately and often delayed, but it also seems that Brave may have more control over desktop rendering state.

Other

Brave Version:
Version 1.44.112 Chromium: 106.0.5249.119 (Official Build) (x86_64)

macOS Version: 12.6.1

Additional Information:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.