Browser hangs, uses huge amounts of memory and more

If I leave my computer on overnight the browser cannot recover, it uses a HUGE Amount of memory line items for only a single tab open and no Plug-ins installed. I have no idea what this browser is doing when I am not around but it becomes unstable. Right now if I start it new, the top bar is not visible and with one tab and no plugins I see 19 brave.exe running in memory. I constantly have issues with this thing; especially if the system is left idle for a few minutes like when I leave for lunch and come back. I would really like to know what this browser needs 19 exe files running at one time with the default install. If I cant resolve this I will have to move to some different browser that actually works.

@bfisher68,
There other other built-in extensions that come with the browser which you can disable in Settings --> Extensions – these are likely some of what you’re seeing.

However, the large memory consumption is strange.

Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Ok, The only xtension that were on were WebTorrent and Widevine. I also found hardware acceleration on. I have turned those off. I restarted the Browser and I now see with just the default tab open 18 running .exe files in memory. Screen shots of settings and memory use below.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.