Browser goes blank for a short period of time on macOS

Description of the issue:
Browser randomly goes blank for a short period of time, then reappears (varies anywhere between 1-5 minutes). Happens completely randomly during a session. There’s no pattern of behavior, so I’m not entirely sure what’s causing this to happen.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Launch Brave browser
  2. Browsing the web for long sessions (I work from home, so my browser’s open basically all day)

As mentioned above, there’s no clear way to reproduce the issue other than simply browsing the web – it just happens completely randomly.

Expected result:
I should just be able to use the browser how anyone else would without having to worry about when/if it will go completely blank.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave Version 1.12.114
Chromium: 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Running macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Hello @rando

could you try to disable the hardware acceleration

hope it help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Hi @justsomeone1,

Do you mind providing instructions on how to do that?

Much appreciated!

sure @rando

go to settings then additional settings then System then Use hardware acceleration when available disable this one

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

I’ve had the same problem all week. In addition to all my browser windows going blank the fans on my mac were going crazy too… I’ve made that adjustment in settings so hopefully it will be fixed now. Thanks for this.

This appears to be related to syncing. The issue didn’t occur until I turned on sync.

justsomeone1 I implemented your recommendation and it seems to be working – no issues in the past hour.

But it is odd because I’ve always had Hardware Acceleration toggled on – the issue didn’t happen until this week for me as well @sparkii.

With all that said, I’m not entirely convinced it’s an issue with the hardware acceleration (but it seems to be working now so what do I know). But you could be on to something @GadgetVirtuoso

I say syncing as well because in a recent update for Brave would crash within a few minutes of launching once sync v1 was enabled. Now that sync v2 is available and enabled a major issue appears.

you welcome @rando @sparkii

and i agree with @GadgetVirtuoso that there was issue related to sync v1 but i have no idea if the sync v2 can cause issue like that or not

have a nice day everyone :slight_smile:

I turned off hardware acceleration and then turned it back on after 24 hours and have not seeing the issue since.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.