Browser freezes for 10-20 seconds after the screen wakes up

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:

Browser freezes after the monitor screen wakes up from sleep.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Go to Brave.
  2. Go to any webpage that has scrolling. Most easy example is Youtube.
  3. Leave the computer idle. When the monitor sleeps, wait for approximately 5-10 minutes.
  4. Wake the screen up and the browser freezes unless a new tab is created.

Expected result:

Browser should not freeze the second the monitor wakes up from sleep.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
[
Version 1.21.74 Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Additional Information:

This has been happening for quite some time now ever since I decided to reinstall windows 10. I have done everything remotely possible to fix the issue but nothing works out. I tried doing windows 10 repair but that did not work out, I deleted browser history including cache but that didn’t work out. I even have all registry issues fixed as well as scanned everything but nothing happened. I don’t even have that many start-up programs on the system.

Even hardware acceleration has been turned off and still this issue persists.

Then it occurred to me that this issue is not happening in Firefox. But it happens in Edge and Brave only. I asked some sites regarding this issue but no one was able to support me in this except a mod from Tom’s Hardware.

It is very apparent when browsing through youtube as it is something like this.

Please help me in fixing this issue.

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue, haven’t found a permanent solution yet, just alt tabbing out and tabbing back in unfreezes the browser and this is what I’ve been using for quite some time.

2 Likes

For me if I just right click or click on a new tab, it unfreezes. But I’m glad I’m not the only one with this issue. As I was wondering why this one never had any response till now.

1 Like

Had the same issue. Searched brave forums and found this discussion on brave freezing after sleep.

The suggested fix was to disable HW accel in settings. Did that and the freeze after sleep vanished.

1 Like

IMPORTANT: Note that after changing the HW acceleration settings, you need to restart the Brave browser for the settings to take place. Else the freeze after sleep will persist. How do I know that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I already disabled the HW in the browser and the issue still persists.

1 Like

The exact same thing happens to me. Any way to mitigate the problem that doesn’t involve turning off hardware acceleration?

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. Any news?

1 Like

Happening to me too on version 1.22.71

The issue is now gone all of a sudden…I don’t know how though but I assume that a firmware update got installed?

Similar issue on Brave Version 1.23.75 running Windows 10 20H2 on a Lenovo X1 Extreme: When my screen goes to sleep (not the whole computer) and I wake it up through activity, if the active screen was a Brave tab, that screen becomes unresponsive.

Not all Brave tabs do this – just the one open when the monitor went to sleep. Also, this freezing behavior does not happen on any other application. Hardware acceleration is off.

And now it comes back…again… :roll_eyes:

+1

Same thing here, found the same solution of clicking a tab to get things moving again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.