Browser crashes upon typing "Top Sites" into Preferences

Description of the issue:
I want the browser to stop adding sites to Top Sites, so I click the gear for Preferences, type in “Top Sites” in the search, and it instantly quits.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Listed above

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
The usual Apple “The application Brave has quit unexpectedly” error message appears, along with a bunch of jargon to be sent to Apple.

Expected result:
Not sure what this refers to.

Reproduces how often:
Each time I try the above.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

MacOS 10.13.6.
Brave Version 1.27.111 Chromium: 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) (x86_64)
](https://brave.com/latest/)

Additional Information:
This browser was downloaded to this Mac for the first time yesterday. On a similar Mac I used Brave every day and never had even one crash.

Hello.

macOS 10.11.6 and Brave 1.27.111 here, I don’t get this problem, whether I use the bottom right gear, ⌘, or the three lines and then “Settings”.
Searching “Top Sites” in brave://settings/ leads to brave://settings/?search=Top+Sites – can’t find any option to hide the top sites there though.

That other mac of yours, which version is it?

Some of that “bunch of jargon to be sent to Apple” would be useful to debug the issue.
Past error logs can also be found in the “Console” (system application), all those entries ending with .crash under “User Diagnostic Reports”.
No point sending that to Apple of course, just copy paste it here, it can help the developers find out what’s going on.

Top sites can be disabled like this – not sure how to bring them back though:
Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 21.18.48

Hope it works for you, and if anyone knows where that option is under brave://settings or brave://flags, thanks.

I don’t want to disable Top Sites, I just want to be the one who decides which sites get stuck there.

The older Apple was also running 10.13.6, and the latest version of Brave.

I just ran Brave in another account on this machine. It didn’t quit in the same way, but after I typed in “Top Sites” in prefs, I got the spinning ball and then the crash. Here is the crash report. — Unable to paste it because it involves too many characters. 6000 more than this box allows.

Do you have any extensions installed? Could you try disabling them? This could be the cause of the crashing.

Porridge

If you mean extensions in Brave, no, nothing.

Sorry I misunderstood.
Try clicking that Customize down there at the right of the gear icon, it should open a Customize Dashboard window, click Top Sites and choose Favorites.
Not 100% sure but I think that is what you are looking for.

As for the crash log, try uploading it as a text file, with… Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 14.30.26
…that upward pointing arrow in the toolbar.
If it doesn’t work see previous edit of this comment.

Well, I was able to go to Customize, where “curated by you” was already selected… and it has not added any more sites against my will lately. However, it will still crash if I type in “Top Sites” in the regular Preferences area. I have a crash log for you which I will now upload…

Or not. “Sorry, new users cannot upload attachments.”

I think it’s working properly for me now, but if you can give me somewhere to send this crash report, I would be happy to do so. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Alas, I didn’t notice the upload is restricted. Let’s try calling @GreenBananaPorridge for help.
Or you could try posting only the part that fits, most relevant info is at the beginning anyway.
Hardware details at the end are very unlikely to be relevant for this issue, also all the info about threads that did not crash is probably next to useless.
The part between Crashed Thread and Thread X Crashed included (the whole section possibly if it fits) is what matters the most.

@pklein,
If you enable automatic crash reporting, the browser will send us the crash data without you having to do anything (Settings --> Privacy and Security).

Thank you both. I see that the option for “Automatically send completely private product analytics to Brave
This anonymous info only lets Brave estimate the overall usage of certain features.” is already checked on. I didn’t see anything that actually said “automatic crash reporting” or anything similar. elder-n00b, do you still think I need to put as much of the crash report here as possible?

@pklein,
The option is actually right below that :slight_smile:

Given I missed the automatic report option, perhaps not. Just turn it on and crash it again.
Better ask someone from the Brave team though, I’m just another user and a new one at that.
By the way, Brave just updated to 1.28.105, see if that fixed the issue already.

Thanks again. I have turned it on!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.