Browser crashes seconds after launch

I have attached a screenshot of my Brave config. I launch Brave, and within seconds it is non-responsive and taking up a huge chunk of memory. Same occurs on my other machines.

Is there a workaround? Wait for new release?

Thanks!

Hi @trap

Could you try this:
Close Brave.
Navigate to %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming
Rename the brave folder in this location to be something else (brave-old will work fine).
Launch Brave again.

I’m curious if it works this time. The steps above have you trying a completely clean profile (no bookmarks, history, etc).

Thanks,
Lauren

Lauren -

That did the trick - on various PCs. If you have a sec, could you explain how/why the profile was corrupted?

Thanks,

James

Hi @trap

I’m not 100% sure that’s the case - it just seems likely given that a clean profile resolved the issue. If you want to take it a step further, you could try this to see if you can get bookmarks/history back:
Close Brave.
Navigate to %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming
Open the current brave folder and rename session-store-1 to be something like session-store-1-new
Navigate to your brave-old (or whatever you renamed it) folder.
Copy your session-store-1 file (important to copy, not move).
Paste the copied session-store-1 file into your current brave folder.
Launch Brave - do you have the same issue as before?

Lauren

No issue, and it didn’t restore anything.

Related +1 from Reddit. Just started happening today for this user and has never been a problem over past months: https://www.reddit.com/r/BATProject/comments/8l2bjy/brave_browser_doesnt_work_for_me/

This worked! Thank you! How about restoring the passwords/login information?

So now Im using it and after around 10 seconds of starting up, the browser is unresponsive. Cant open a new tab, clicking on my bookmarks wont do nothing and I cant switch between tabs. Nothing works.

I close it and reopen it. It works great for about 10 secs and then it goes to unresponsive state. How do I fix this? @LaurenWags

@vozuh

You followed the steps for a clean profile and it still becomes unresponsive?

Yes, at the beginning I would click on brave and start it up then it would crash right away once it opened up. I followed your steps on here and that seem to work except now after 10-15 secs it becomes unresponsive and I’m unable to use it. @LaurenWags

After starting up, if you quickly open a new tab and go to chrome://crashes do you see any crash reports listed that correspond to the times you’re seeing unresponsiveness?

Yes I do.

Crashes (50)
Local Crash ID 9007037a-7474-4d1d-9e2a-c5e4d34433c8
Crash report captured on Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 11:08:16 AM was not uploaded

Send now

that one of them when it became unresponsive. @LaurenWags

Hi @vozuh

Are you on Windows as well?

Thanks,
Lauren

Yes im on windows. Ever since the latest update this started happening. @LaurenWags

I just updated the browser since there was a new update today & the problem still persist. :confused:

@vozuh are you familiar with Git Bash? One of my teammates suggested launching Brave via Git Bash to see if any errors are displayed that way.

No Im not familiar with Git Bash. You can give me guidance on how to use it if you want. @LaurenWags

hey ! i had the same problem and found a solution in this thread : https://old.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/comments/8l2gbq/brave_browser_doesnt_work_for_me/

the file to delete is “ledger-state.json”. You can find it at /username/Appdata/Roaming/Brave
I didn’t lose any BAT so give it a go :slight_smile:

@john3 i already comment on that thread, thats for mac user not windows

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

@vozuh I’m going to ask @sriram to help us with git bash instructions :slight_smile: