Browser closes upon opening, reinstalling did nothing

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Browser.
  2. Watch browser open up.
  3. Fall to knees in despair after browser closes in one second

Expected result: Browser opens and instantly closes

Brave Version( check About Brave): should be the latest version, but browser isn’t opened up long enough to tell

Additional Information:
I was using Brave the night prior and when I opened it up the next morning, this issue persisted

@nordco , @ipasallday , @DivineRIghter ,

Written for Brave Browser for Windows, stable releases (brave.exe).

Given: Brave Browser is not running.

On your Windows OS machine, back up the BraveSoftware folder:

C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\

Go to the “Default” folder:

C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\

Find within the “Default” folder, the “Cache” folder and drag the “Cache” folder to the Trash.

Find within the “Default” folder, the “Cookies” file and consider that you might need to drag the “Cookies” file to the Trash.

Next, the “File System” folder - can grow to be LARGE and require attention:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\File System\

Ref.:

Folder ...appdata\local\BraveSoftware\...\File System\ is too big (12Gb!) - #3 by grandemonio

You may find some items to remove from the “File System” folder, too.

Consider a command line startup:

Brave Crashes every time I open it - #14 by 289wk

Latest Stable release:

https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/tag/v1.37.116

Thanks for the help. I’ve followed these steps and the problem still persists

@nordco ,

Given: Brave Browser is not running; and you created a backup of the BraveSoftware folder – as mentioned above.

Exit / Quit everything.

Create a System Restore Point.

Drag the BraveSoftware folder to the Desktop.

See if you can start Brave Browser (“BB”), and it keeps running. If BB keeps going, it will create a new BraveSoftware folder.

That worked, is there any way I can have my same bookmarks and everything as before? It synced with my chrome, but my Brave browser was more personalized. Not a big deal to redo that all. Thank you!

Secondly, my rewards are no longer as well

@nordco ,

Oops. I was responding to your “falling to your knees” situation – meaning, you had to get Brave Browser running. I had no info, that you were involved with Brave Rewards.

So, your Brave Browser problem is NOT actually solved.

My first step, would be to either

Brave Crashes every time I open it - #3 by steeven

or:

Use the System Restore Point that you created, in order to return your system to where it was . . . and try to get help with the combination of problems:

• getting Brave Browser running
  • saving your Brave Rewards

I could make many suggestions, where you would Trial and Error you way thru, finding a more specific item (to be removed - per test) in a location within the BraveSoftware folder, but not many people want to pursue such discovery.

So, try @steeven

You do have an advantage, in that, you backed up your BraveSoftware folder, and you created a System Restore Point before.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.