Browser becomes unresponsive when opening new tab every time,

Seeing the same issue on mac, this only happened after the recent update. why are we forcing the updates on the user. i keep my updates turned off on all softwares in my laptop for this exact event. smdh! This slow down is catching fire.

3 Likes

the same here, Windows 10 64 bit,
1.8.86 Chromium: 81.0.4044.129 (Official Build)

1 Like

Nope, doesn’t help at all and that means that you have to re-login to all accounts, etc…

Agree with @nomu.

The amount of time the browser is unresponsive in my various profiles seems proportional to the number of bookmarks in the respective profile.

On a E3-1225 v3 @ 3.20GHz running Ubuntu 18.04, one cpu core is under a 100% load for ~9s while the browser is unresponsive, on a profile with ~26,000 bookmarks.

Note: Even before the recent update that resulted in this debacle, I’ve always been annoyed that the omnibox was unresponsive for a fraction of a second, so that pressing Ctrl+T followed by Ctrl+V, to paste a link doesn’t work unless I delay the Ctrl+V for a (part of a) second, while in Chrome there is no such problem.

2 Likes

yet, another thread here and the problem haven’t been fixed yet. and it seems that the update or the number of bookmarks stored in Your profile (which I doubt) caused It. I hope the devs fix this soon becuase at this point I’m fu**ing annoyed, not just because the sluggish new tab issue but also because of the S.t.u.p.i.d and forced binance widget which i didn’t opt in to install!

3 Likes

Try to install this extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/blank-new-tab-dark-mode/kbgpnmhanjagjnkiekpnkcefiafpapfa

This extension overrides Brave New Tab page with a dark blank page.

User from other thread mention that this solved his problem.

7 Likes

Thank you so much. Fixed the issue by simply bypassing it.

2 Likes

You can always install “Adblockplus” add-on in chrome, if you are switching to that temp.

Same thing happening to me. Originally I thought it had something to do with Brave Rewards, deactivated it but the problem remains. It seems that only a new Brave update will fix this.

Thanks [onmyoji]. My lag time was 15/16 seconds. Your suggested extension worked perfectly .

Can we get a word from the Devs on this? You push a new update today, you don’t fix this issue, and you make no mention of it whatsoever. I was stoked at the prospect of going back to using Brave normally and disappointed to find that’s not the case. Or is the goal for all Brave users to stop using the built in new tab page with the ad image in the background and the widgets altogether?

2 Likes

Thanks [onmyoji] for that, it worked perfectly - Brave is now my browser of choice again.
It’s a shame this had to happen this way though - they should definitely fix this is in a future update.

2 Likes

works, new version did not resolve issue

the update didn’t fix it for me either. frustrating to forget the work around, crt/shft/t

no need, simply install:
Blank New Tab Dark Mode extension xD

1 Like

This extention with the blank page extention solves the whole problem.

Thanks for the contributions.

3 Likes

We recently landed a code-fix for this issue in our 1.9.x branch. You can see the changed behavior live in our current Beta build; it will soon land in our Release build. Thank you all for your help in tracking down and resolving this issue. Your input and patience are greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

When is this gonna come to public/official release of Brave because it seems to be working?

The beta is 3 always about weeks ahead of stable, so that’s the longest it should take. However, we’re building and testing release candidates at this very moment. It won’t be long now; than you for your patience.

2 Likes

Appriciate the response,hopefully it comes to official release soon,til’ than its empty tab extension I guess.

1 Like