Bring Back New Tab + Button for Bottom Navigation Bar

I highly recommend switching the Search Button back to the New Tab (+) Button on the lower navigation bar.

I now have to click twice, any time I want to open a new tab, instead of just once. You’ve just increased the number of clicks that I have to perform by 100%, for an action that I perform 1000x more frequently than searching a web page for a particular word.

I suggest you collect metrics about how frequently users search web pages, versus how frequently they open new tabs, and prove me wrong.

There’s a reason why Microsoft, Google, etc. have relegated “Find in page” functions to secondary menus - they’ve conducted the HMI (human machine interface) research, and found the “Find in page” just isn’t used that frequently.

Swapping in the Search Button in for the New Tab (+) Button might cause me to stop using Brave, until this issue is fixed. You’re making my user experience quite onerous, by forcing me to perform two actions for an activity I perform quite frequently - opening new tabs - that previously only required one click.

Btw, I created my Brave Community account specifically to address this issue.

Thank you for your time.

Now where’s that New Tab (+) button so I can visit another website…

6 Likes

Hi @RandomThoughts,

Thank you for your feedback! I will pass it along to the team.

Thanks again for your time!

Can I counter this request and add, keep the search button because I love it, but add a new tab button to the bottom as requested. You could replace the bookmark button with a new tab one. In reality, people press the new tab button more than the bookmark button so it would make sense

2 Likes

Yes please. This has made the user experience worse ever since they removed it.

Why remove stuff? Just make it optional/customizable and everyone wins! No need to ponder about what to add or remove… The user can tailor it to how he/she prefers.

Hence customization… There is no “one-fit-all” solution to UI design.

You can disable “Home page” in Settings. And you’ll get the New Tab button.

1 Like

What if you want “Home Page”? Why do you have to disable something unrelated to get something else?

Edit: Just tried this. It adds the + button all the way to the left (very hard to reach) and the (in my opinion) useless search button in the middle where the + should be.

I can’t stress this enough: customization is always the solution. No need to ponder about which buttons to put where, if the user can tailor the experience, everyone wins. :slight_smile:

Edit 2: I feel like the response to this is kind of lazy. It’s important to see others’ perspective. Some people won’t agree with my button preferences, that’s why I don’t want them to lose the search button as some people like it. If it’s customizable, then both sides will be happy. It’s that simple. :wink:

2 Likes

To continue on @saar’s point: customization is the way to go, especially on mobile, where drag and drop is a natural gesture. We should have a edit button (in the settings) where we can just move icons around on the menu, bottom bar, etc. I don’t understand why so many developers don’t understand that. Maybe there are valid reasons we, from the outside, can’t see, in which case I am more than willing to understand, if explained. Otherwise, I highly doubt this is the cause.

2 Likes

I agree with @cram2208. That would be just the best thing to do. For me it’s fine to disable home page to have the new tab button, but unlike some others I want keep the search button in the middle. Everyone has different opinion about the buttons in the bottom panel, so the customization would be a solution for everyone.

Try if you can quickly open new tab by double-tapping tabs button.
They should add option to set what the middle button in lower toolbar does:
a)search
b)open new tab
c)shows bookmarks

Bump thread, any customization options is good