Brave's modification of URLs containing PDF files when opening them

I’m curious as a user who works extensively with PDF documents, why Brove opens a URL which I don’t recognise.

As an example, if I visit this URL to view or download a PDF file…

http://library.open.oregonstate.edu/permaculture/open/download?filename=Introduction-to-Permaculture-1529101218&type=pdf

… then the actual URL that appears is modified by Brave to the following.

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://library.open.oregonstate.edu/permaculture/open/download?filename=Introduction-to-Permaculture-1529101218&type=pdf

This has implications for me, since I normally cite the original URL in separate notes when I save medical research articles. It means that I can’t save the modified URL, so I have to cut-out the relevant part. Annoying but not a problem I’m looking to fix - just that I’m curious why it needs to change the URL to such a strange cryptic string.

I’m guessing this is an underlying characteristic of Chrome, but as I normally avoid anything related to Google, unless I can help it, I’m not sure. Any ideas?

@OsoB,
The prepended part of the addresss – chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/ – simply points the browser to an installed extension. In this case, the PDF viewer. This is standard behavior for Chromium-based browsers.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

This is no longer an issue with the new brave release version 0.68

Unfortunately I found the PDF support in version 0.68 to have lost important features, so I reverted to the previous download from some months ago. The thing that I couldn’t live with, was that PDF page numbers in 0.68 are inconsistently displayed - see example. Sometimes they appear, sometimes they don’t. I couldn’t work out why they sometimes appeared. This is one of my complaints with some software designs — features exist for a time and are then removed with new versions, almost on a whim.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.