Brave won't stick as Default IOS browser. Safari opens with QR Code Scans

Description of the issue:

I have changed default IOS browser to “Brave” is settings. This status is persistent
But, when I scan a QR code, Safari opens, I can’t seem to force brave.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Scan any QR code with iPhone camera

Expected result:
Brave should lauch, byt it goes to Safari

Brave Version( check About Brave):
1.21 (20.11.10.16)

Mobile Device details
iPhone 11 Pro

1 Like

I am not sure as i do not have iOS device, but on android that i have - scanning with default camera app used to open pre-programmed browser not respecting system default (There was no need for me to use that feature for like 2 years now - not sure how it reacts in current version)

Might be that iOS camera app have same thing: “open this link in safari” instead of “open this link in default browser”

If that is the case - blame Apple not Brave ;]

I would look for Camera app settings to get your desired behavior since I doubt there is anything Brave devs can do to help you here.

I have the same problem, but with other apps, for example Messenger. When i try to open link on Messenger, nothing happens. Safari open link normal.
iPhone 7, iOS 14.2.

@zdybo,
To confirm, you’re saying that when your browser is set to Brave as it’s default, clicking on a link in the Messenger app has no effect? Whereas doing the same with Safari set as your default opens the link?

@FreeIndeed,
Let me reach out to the iOS team and see if this is a known issue or if the behavior is expected.

@Mattches
Exactly.
The problem also occurs with other applications. There is no problem in the Apple Mail application, and also when, for example, in the Facebook application, the link starts in the built-in Facebook browser, from there selecting in the options run in safari, it easily transfers to Brave. This problem occurs in various applications, the link of which, when clicked, should turn on in Brave.

@FreeIndeed,
Are you using a particular app to scan QR codes with or are you just using the built-in camera to scan? If using the built-in camera, can you double check and ensure that Brave is your default browser by going to Settings --> Brave --> Default browser app --> Brave?

I tested this myself and was able to get scanned QR codes to open in Brave without any issues.

@Mattches
What with my problem?

@zdybo,
Can you double check and ensure that Brave is your default browser by going to Settings --> Brave --> Default browser app --> Brave ?

@Mattches
I’m sure. Brave is default.

@zdybo,
This is likely a Messenger issue rather than a Brave issue. Can you try the following:

1. Launch the Facebook app and log into your account .
  2. Tap the Menu icon.
  3. Scroll down and tap Settings & Privacy .
  4. Tap Settings .
  5. Scroll down and tap Media and Contacts .
  6. The “ Links open externally ” setting to On (it should turn from gray to blue).

Now external links should open in your default browser application.

@Mattches
I don’t have the option that you mention in Facebook for iOS. I found such an option in the Android version, but the problem is with iOS. I don’t think this is an FB problem as the same link triggers when Safari is the default browser on the system, and doesn’t start when Brave is the default browser.

@zdybo,
Ooph yeah, it appears you’re correct. Apparently there is no way to open links externally on iOS – apologies for the inconvenience, but it is a Facebook/Apple issue/restriction rather than a Brave one.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.