Brave won't stay locked to the Launcher and disappears every time I reboot machine

Description of the issue:
Every time I reboot my machine (cold boot, warm boot, power outage, doesn’t matter) when it opens back up, Brave is no longer locked to the Launcher. I add it and lock it but with the next reboot it’s gone.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. For me all I have to do is reboot my machine.

Expected result:
When machine reboots and I login, I expect Brave to be locked to my launcher.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
[Version 1.11.101 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Additional Information:
This happens EVERY time and has done so since I installed Brave 6 months ago or so. Brave is still installed on machine, just not on the Launcher.
I’m using Ubuntu 18.04.

which linux distribution and version you use

ops sorry i saw it wait let me check it

first check on the following directory /user/share/application for file name brave-browser.desktop
if you did not find it then you can create one or use the launcher to add brave again to it it’s a text file include the path to the execute brave file and icon for it

hope that help and have a nice day

I guess I’m to green to be able to successfully do this. There was no “brave-browser.desktop” file. I went to create it but can’t figure out where the executable is. I keep adding it via the launcher and it never creates the file. How do I definitively figure out where the executable resides?

the executable file is on this bath /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable but double check it

hope that help and have a nice day

1 Like

That didn’t work. No such folder or even anything close. I went to root folder and with root permission searched:

rroot@tom-HP-EliteBook-Folio-9470m:/# find -name brave-browser*
./snap/brave/75/opt/brave.com/brave/brave-browser
./snap/brave/75/opt/brave.com/brave/cron/brave-browser
./snap/brave/75/usr/share/appdata/brave-browser.appdata.xml
./snap/brave/75/usr/share/applications/brave-browser.desktop
./snap/brave/75/usr/share/doc/brave-browser
./snap/brave/75/usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/brave-browser.xml
./snap/brave/75/usr/share/man/man1/brave-browser-stable.1.gz
./snap/brave/75/usr/share/man/man1/brave-browser.1.gz
./snap/brave/75/usr/share/menu/brave-browser.menu
./snap/brave/74/opt/brave.com/brave/brave-browser
./snap/brave/74/opt/brave.com/brave/cron/brave-browser
./snap/brave/74/usr/share/appdata/brave-browser.appdata.xml
./snap/brave/74/usr/share/applications/brave-browser.desktop
./snap/brave/74/usr/share/doc/brave-browser
./snap/brave/74/usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/brave-browser.xml
./snap/brave/74/usr/share/man/man1/brave-browser-stable.1.gz
./snap/brave/74/usr/share/man/man1/brave-browser.1.gz
./snap/brave/74/usr/share/menu/brave-browser.menu
./usr/share/applications/brave-browser.desktop
find: ‘./run/user/1000/doc’: Permission denied
find: ‘./run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied
./etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg~
./etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg

From that I find several folders with “brave-browser.desktop” in them. Which is the one I want to edit?

Which of the paths is the one to the executable?

I used DuckDuckGo to seek answers and nothing gave me a clear solution. Sorry for my ignorance.

do not be sorry and for your search result usr/share/applications/brave-browser.desktop
it show that your file alreeady there which mean that you can find your brave icon in the app section
when you click the window key then search for brave it should be there

so i would like you to add another app (choose any app ) that not in the launcher and lock it then reboot and see if it still there or it vanish same as brave

if it vanish then the issue are in the os not brave

but my guess that you installed brave using the snap way

i went to the snapcraft and saw that the version there is cummunity supported not the official one

maybe that the reason

you should installed it via the official one https://brave.com/ click download and it will give you 4 command line to run

before that export your bookmark and your wallet

and also wait someone from brave employee to confirm my words as i do not know if there anything to backup before doing it

@Mattches could you please check this one

and have a nice day both of you

@tomneff0,
I can’t seem to reproduce this on my end. Can you try adding a different application to the launch and confirm whether or not it exhibits the same behavior?

Also, for the record, the Brave Application file can be found in ~/usr/share/applications.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.