I’m trying to familiarize myself with Chromium and Brave, hoping that I will be able to contribute in the future.
A while ago i’ve complied chromium myself… remember there were some flags that I had to set in order to enable or disable specific features.
So, playing with the code, I first try to understand if there’s a way to disable a component (for example the brave-torrent component) just for the sake of learning how to do this.
For example, is it enough to change the enable_brave_webtorrent switch to false in src\brave\components\brave_webtorrent\browser\buildflags\buildflags.gni?
And also, how to add a new component.
I’ve tried to find some guides on this, but wasn’t successful.
May you please guide me?
1. It is important that you have the right expectations for free technical support for free open source software.
For an average business day you should expect about 24 hours before your first response. For the weekend (any post after 3PM PST Friday to 11AM PST Monday) expect about 48 hours before your first response.
We totally love you, but we also have loved ones, pets, and stuffed animals we like to spend time with when we’re not making free software.
2. Did you check out our Common Issues? https://community.brave.com/c/common-issues
Clicking on that Lion in the upper-right corner and fiddling with settings is going to solve like 99% of your problems.
Be sure to check it’s not just Brave.
Smileys go a long way, but it’s better if you stick to the facts and say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’. Don’t swear in text, it’s a waste of everyone’s energy.
- A. Make a meaningful title. “Clicking on the Done button 3 times crashes Brave” is much better than “Brave suddenly crashed”.
- B. A screenshot or recording of the issue (Licecap is totally free to use http://www.cockos.com/licecap/)
C. A listing of:
- i. Your Operating System and version (Mac 10.11.x, Windows 7/8/10, Linux distribution, iOS 9/10, Android)
- ii. Your Brave Version. (Desktop users please copy info from about:brave using the clipboard if possible)
D. Detailed step-by-step instructions of how you came across the issue.
- i. I downloaded and installed Brave.
- ii. I created a bookmark and clicked the ‘Done’ button three times.
- iii. Brave suddenly quit and my bookmark was not created.
- E. Count to 20 and re-read your post. Could someone take offense at your post? Could you say something a bit more clearly?
We’re not trying to be rude, we just don’t want to waste energy when we could be releasing new features and bug fixes.