Brave websites status - some sources using UDP instead of TCP

PSA. Originally: 20220620-1835 PM EDT USA
UPDATED: 20220625-2332 PM EDT USA
UPDATED: 20220704-1442 PM EDT USA
UPDATED: 20220707-1232 PM EDT USA

Some sources for pieces / portions of the Brave Community website and probably other Brave.com websites, are now using UDP instead of TCP protocol.

Some pieces are now transported via UDP, when the source is:

β€˜BraveSoftware.com’ using UDP:

Discourse using UDP:

So, some icons and pieces /parts may not render.

You might also, not be able to connect or Sign In. For example:

–

In addition, Brave Community button is missing or without clear presence, AND, the WHITE fill color for the lettering is missing . . . at the upper left-hand corner of the Brave Browser > New Private Window I am using. The button will not show if the window is scrolled to the top:

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.41.05 PM

. . . but will show, by scrolling down just a little:

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.37.24 PM

–

Developer_Tools

–

Link to the missing item:

That thing is still missing:

• 20220625-2335 EDT Saturday
  • 20220707-1232 EDT Thursday

Other posts, re missing icon and missing color for text, for https://community.brave.com/ button/link:

–

Brave Browser for Mac v1.39.122
Brave Browser for Mac v1.40.113
Brave Browser for iOS v1.39 (22.6.3.14)

–

Reading material:

β€˜TCP is serious about reliability . The packets are checked for errors to make sure the request is fulfilled correctly. TCP packets are tracked to make sure that no data is lost in between . Packets are also checked for corruption. This is why when you download files using TCP, they are received perfectly even if there are network issues in between.’

–

1 Like

@289wk Hi :slightly_smiling_face: Is the Brave Community banner not displaying properly related to using UDP vs TCP? And does this have anything to do with the WebRTC IP handling policy at brave://settings/privacy (see image below)?

As you can tell, I don’t know anything about this topic. I do not know why it matters if using UDP instead of TCP. I remember we discussed the WebRTC settings in another topic a while back, but I seem to remember it was a personal choice depending on scenario and goals.

brave://settings/privacy

Questions answered :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think that what you are seeing is a move from HTTP2 to HTTP3. HTTP2 (and earlier versions) was TCP-based, but HTTP3 is based on a different transport protocol. It uses something called QUIC which is essentially a reimplementation of TCP over UDP. So it is a reliable transport protocol too, but it has better performance characteristics for HTTP.

None of this has anything to do with WebRTC or the WebRTC connection settings.

1 Like

@fmarier

–

Excerpt from that second link:

HTTPS, the researchers found, remains more resistant to web fingerprinting. Web fingerprinting in this context is not browser/device fingerprinting, which captures browser-based data points like browser type, device brand, screen size, and so on, and uses those to calculate a hash identifier. Rather, it refers to data extracted by sniffing network traffic between internet users and the websites they visit.

–

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ddos/what-is-a-quic-flood/

Excerpts:

• QUIC uses UDP, which provides very little information to the packet recipient that they can use to block the packets

• QUIC encrypts packet data so that the recipient of the data cannot easily tell if it is legitimate or not

–