Brave vs Firefox

I dont know where to ask this question.
Here it goes:
Yes. Brave is a special browser with lot of goodies focused on security is built in. But my question is how does it compare with firefox + add ons.
For example, with firefox I use these addons - ublock origin, https everywhere, privacy badger, decentralyses, cookie autodelete. Now is this firefox comparable to Brave browser? I also block webRTC leak via ublock origin.
Why I ask this was, I use Firefox and Brave as my main browsers. On a one on one comparison Brave needs little more work to be used as everyday browser. for example all pdf pages are not opening within the browser, twitter or pages like that with continuous flow is little slow etc.
Thank you very much - Nellai

2 Likes

@nellaiseemai Brave is still in the beta phase, when 1.0 is released, you should see many of the problems you are experiencing go away. There is also a way to adjust how Brave handles WebRTC under the security tab in preferences.

2 Likes

Thanks I am using that option already. I just wanted to inform that how I handle that with Firefox.

Yes. Eagerly waiting for 1.0. Any time frame for that? Remember reading it in blog post some time back.
Thanks
Nellai

I think it’s supposed to be fall of this year. I don’t believe I’ve heard a solid date for it yet.

2 Likes

You can also start testing pre 1.0 builds from the team.

Thanks for the info.
But Where to get 1.0?

Here you go, https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases

1 Like

Thanks for this link. I installed this preview. I guess the “Brave Settings” will be implemented later. There are no options for webRTC leak prevention, strict site isolation etc as in regular Brave browser. I tried installing ublock origin (for webRTC leak) but it is not possible to install.

But it is really interesting. I keep it installed and will check regularly.
Thanks again
Nellai

@nellaiseemai I’m not sure because I’m not install it yet. But for webRTC and site isolation setting you should be able to enable it via chrome://flags.

In addition, this version of Brave is for testing only. Since the team not yet officially release the installer for brave-core.

I’m currently using both at the same time as well.
But when I install a browser for someone else, like my brother mum or so. I tend to go for brave. Yes it has it querks, but it also is much more simple to use. and when it comes to privacy, the user is often the biggest risk.

So I explain to them the basic features, and they cant deinstall them by accident or so.

For myself, I miss a couple of things in brave, thats the reason I still have FF around, but I try to go with brave for the most part.

3 Likes

Yes. I agree with this view. Firefox is very good but need some user in put to make it better such as add ons etc. Brave is once install and forget.
Still I like to have the a) strict site isolation and b) webRTC leak prevention enabled by default which needs user input now.
Nellai

So…
If you only install extensions, you don’t necessarily have a better (Firefox) browser than Brave.

Extensions are extensions, the important, I think, is in the source code of Brave.

Agreed.
But so far what I have seen was, ublock origin is better in blocking advertisements than Brave. I use either autodelete cookies or privacy badger depending on whether it is my office computer or personal laptop. I also use HTTPS Everywhere and decentraleyes. Out of this adblocking and HTTPS Everywhere are integrated in Brave. Cookie management is also good with 3rd party cookies are always blocked by default. Since Brave is using Chromium base now I just compare how much RAM the browser use in comparison to Firefox or Chrome. I should say that Brave uses less RAM and CPU as most of these features are in-built whereas they add up in Firefox and Chrome.
But I guess Firefox has more control over configuration than Brave and Chrome.
A nice discussion here although the title may be misleading.
https://community.brave.com/t/feedback-is-security-a-joke-with-brave/27618/12
Thanks

uBlock Origin is actually not necessary for Brave, if I’m not mistaken.
In the current beta you will also be given the possibility, if necessary by right-clicking on the corresponding advertisement, to remove the picture or the like, if advertisements should still appear.

In addition I must say that you can use now the Chrome Extension Store. With it you can install all your extensions (including uBlock Origin). So you can use Brave with its basic things (think of the source code :grinning:), and at the same time you can use your favorite extensions. Wouldn’t this create a better security base than you thought at first?

Here is the link to the beta that supports the Chrome Store:

You can install UBlock Origin if using Brave Beta. I have it

Also, which option do you use when using WebRTC. The disabled non-proxied UDP one?

@BenJR
But I am not clear will adding ublock origin into Brave make it redundant or unnecessary as Brave has its own filters. If I use all of these addons I do not see difference between Brave and Chrome as these addons will take care of privacy concerns of Chrome (not all but almost). Now again other questions will be since Brave is based on Chromium now how much Google is removed from Brave. But I remember reading the developers are working on providing this information when 1.0 is ready.

I asked this before in the forum.
https://community.brave.com/t/how-does-brave-built-in-features-vs-ublock-origin-and-other-privacy-addons/28528

1 Like

Yes. I use “disabled non-proxied UDP” and always check with privacytools.io to see whether it is blocked or not.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.