Brave Version 1.21.73 Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 on Mac breaks Enpass

The new Brave Version 1.21.73 Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 on MacOS breaks the Enpass extension as it stops it communicating with the Enpass desktop app.

This is a major issue and renders the browser unusable.

2 Likes

@dbrewood,
Thank you for reaching out to us.
Can you tell me whether or not there are any error messages displayed when trying to use it and, if so, can you share a screenshot of these messages?

Additionally, can you tell me what version of macOS you’re using?

Hi,
same situation here.
System:

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
  • 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
  • Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB
  • macOS Big Sur 11.2.2
  • Brave Version 1.21.73 Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 (Offizieller Build) (x86_64)
  • Enpass 6.6.0 (772) Mac App Store
  • Enpass Password Manager extension for Chrome 6.5.1

Yesterday it was fine. Today no chance to get it work.
To your questions @Mattches: Like every new start, Brave is trying to open enpass.

After a few seconds, the allready running app «enpass» is closing beside the brave browser. At least the app-window, in the Activity-MacApp the Enpass-App is still running.

And at the end, the Brave-Window is showing the «Error message»…

Can you tell me whether or not there are any error messages displayed when trying to use it and, if so, can you share a screenshot of these messages?

Here the Message:

Hope this will help to make Enpass re-working in Brave. copy/paste is a is a poor solution.
Best regards
Martin

System:

• MacMini (2018)
  • Processoir: 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
  • RAM: 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
  • macOS Big Sur 11.2.2
  • Brave Version 1.21.73 Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 (Official Build) (x86_64)
  • Enpass 6.6.0 (772) Mac App Store
  • Enpass Password Manager extension for Chrome 6.5.1

The screens I see are:

Same issue on Win 10 home, Enpass extension does not work anymore

Same issue here but with safeincloud, as i read in other post, they use the same method to connect to the desktop app (using localhost)

I’ve turned off Brave Shields and it’s now working. Using the following extensions:

AdGuard
Bitdefender Anti-Tracker

Gives a good score on Panopticlik so I’m happy until it is fixed.

The same issue here.

Windows 10 Pro
Enpass desktop version 6.6.0 (775)
Enpass chrome extension 6.6.0
Brave Version 1.21.73 Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 (Officiell version) (64 bitar)

Thank you to everyone reporting this.
Talking with the team about this right now – for anyone who is able or willing to, I’d like to know if you get the same behavior with Enpass in Chrome or other Chromium browsers or if it works in Chrome as intended.

Enpass currently works for me as expected with:
Chrome 89.0.4389.72
Edge: 88.0.705.81

But it started failing with Brave after yesterday’s 1.21.73 update

1 Like

Confirmed it works fine with Edge & Vivaldi only affected browser is Brave after yesterdays update.

Thank you all for reporting and/or confirming. I’ve filed the following issue to capture data on this – devs are looking into it now:

1 Like

Do you think we can expect a quick fix in advance of the usual release period?

@dbrewood,
Can’t make any promises on that – depends on the complexity of the issue, among other factors. I’ll push to get as many eyes on this as possible though as the issue seems to be fairly widespread.

Okay fingers crossed. So far I’ve had to talk to 5 family members and advise them how to fix the problem.

Just thought I would add that I have a similar issue here but with NordPass. This only started after the Brave update to 1.21.73.

Windows 10 Pro
NordPass Desktop Version 2.28.8
NordPass Password Manager & Digital Vault Extension 3.21.2
Brave v 1.21.73, Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 (Official build) (64-bit).

Spoken with Nord support and only current work around was changing the global ‘Trackers & ads blocking’ option to “Disabled” as mentioned by ‘dbrewood’. Was advised the following by Nord “ For the time being, the Brave shield blocks all connections to the localhost, in turn blocking the NordPass extension from the NordPass application. If this remains unchanged from the side of the Brave browser there is nothing we can do for the time being to solve the issue.

Edit: Can confirm that adding:
@@localhost
@@127.0.0.1
to brave://adblock/ as advised in the issue linked by ‘Mattches’ fixes the NordPass connection.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.