Brave update seems to have a problem

Description of the issue:
Brave shows error message in About section, related to automatic updates.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Get Brave [Version 1.0.0 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97]
  2. Go to chrome://settings/help (About Brave from menu)
  3. Wait for it to check for updates
  4. Observe

An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist BraveUpdate.exe. (error code 7: [0x800421F4](https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025390311-How-do-I-download-and-install-Brave-0x800421F4) -- system level).

Expected result:
It should either say the browser is up to date, or suggest an update. Any system configuration, necessary for this to work should happen automatically.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.0.0 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97

Additional Information:
Windows 10 Version 1909

1 Like

Same here, two different machines, two different Windows OS (Server 2016 & 10.1909), two different Internet providers.

Same with me.

I have,

• Disabled my firewall
  • Disabled my AV
  • Verified my host file is empty

Same here, i removed the browser but the install of the new browser give the same error.

Unable to connect tot the internet.

I was enable to download the setup file.

Same things with same error code happened to me. Turned off antivirus but nothing happened. All the time I got same messsage:

An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist BraveUpdate.exe. (error code 7: 0x800421F4 – system level).

Learn more

Version 1.0.0 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit

FYI you access the standalone installers here: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Thats not a solution for the creator reflink editions

Same here on Windows 10 Pro last update. Checked everything as @Taomyn did. Had to install the standalone installer from the suggested link of @ZeljkoO.

Same here. Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

stand alone installer did not work for me does not install

I managed to install ver 1.0 but I had to uninstall previous first
Also now when I go to about Brave I get the error:
An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80040154).

Learn more

Version 1.0.0 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Hey all, thank you for taking the time to write in. we had a long running outage of the updates server overnight, it just came back online about 90 minutes ago - https://status.brave.com/.

1 Like

Yes, the About check is now working with v1, thanks

Thank you. It works. Does this upgrade solve the problem with synching bookmarks across dieferent devices?

Not for Android devices at least for me - my phone has been waiting over a week for its first sync - my Windows desktop machine seem to be working though.

Thanks for letting me know,
I am still getting the error I posted above - any ideas how to fix

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.