Brave translate doesn't ever detect language

Description of the issue:
Brave translate never automatically detects the language. I always have to juggle between languages to translate it. Kinda it’s become more like manual translation. It does translate the page once I choose the appropriate language from which it needs to be translated into English.

How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Go to any website displaying in a language other than the one you prefer. For examole
    Sugerencia que puede beneficiar a todos
  2. Enable translate, it won’t detect the language and we need to select the language manually.
  3. Once I select the language, the page is translated perfectly. The problem lies with detection of the language being displayed.

Expected result:
It should auto detect the language and translate

Brave Version( check About Brave):
1.49.122

Mobile Device details
Running MIUI 14 based on Android 13. It’s a poco x3 pro
Additional Information:
I noticed that the issue doesn’t occur at a page which is totally in a different language. I face the problem on websites where the page has some part in English and the other in some another language (example → Brave community page when viewing posts in japanese, spanish) bitFlyerにBATが入金されない。
Attaching a few screenshots.


1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@SmartyAadi,
Sorry that nobody responded to your thread here.
Unfortunately on my end I cannot reproduce this. Using my Samsung Galaxy, I’m able to translate all the pages I tested with, including the Community thread you linked above — which was a bit surprising, considering the languages on that page are mixed. But as I continued scrolling down past English-language replies it continued translating the individual replies that were in Spanish.

What about other websites? For example, can you try going to https://konami.jp and/or just going to https://www.wikipedia.org/ and selecting a different language and then having the browser translate those pages?

All those pages you suggested work flawlessly on my device too.
I still see the error at the page I mentioned about here on community

I also tried on my Windows, same error or the translate Button fails to show up completely.

It must have something to do with Community specifically. I wonder if the issue for some reason has to do with dark mode? Can you try changing your Community theme to Default and then testing again?

1 Like

Done. Still get the same error. I will try the same in my Nightly and revert back.

The issue happens in my Brave Nightly as well(not synced to any other Brave installation)

Gotcha — to confirm though, you’re only having this issue with community.brave.com right? Other sites are translating for you without issue?

Affirmative. Yeah, I will surely share info if I get an error on other pages

Just an update. I was just checking random settings on my Android and found that the ‘Experimental Night mode’ at Settings → Appearance was turned on. I turned it off and now translates doing a better job.

1 Like

Good to know — thank you for the update.

1 Like

hello @Mattches I have the same problem @smartyadi when I enter a foreign page that is not in my language it does not detect the language detected in Spanish and the translation expels it for me that is a mistake

Uploading: Screenrecording_20230817_145557.mp4…

I have the exact same issue. I live in Greece and want to auto translate to English. It never auto translates. This sote for example https://houseofspices.gr/eshop/ you have to manually set it to Greek. Would be nice if there was a setting to automatically set a default language to try when not auto detected.