Brave sync on iOS is completely broken and has been for many months! - plus other bugs with sync on iOS too. (iOS) If you have iOS please read!

I was happy with password sync for a few days, but today my ipad lost the connection with the sync chain :frowning:
Brave version is 1.37 (22.4.6.8)
Is there something I can do to prevent this?
Thank you

Can you go to the sync settings screen and post a screenshot of the sync internals?
You have to tap on the cogwheel icon in top right when in the sync settings screen on your iOS device

Thank you for your reply. Here you go

1 Like

thanks for this link,
is this iOS device visible on your other devices or looks like it completely disconnected?

Hello Michal,
It still shows as listed in the chain on my ubuntu desktop (from which I made the chain initially). According to the info on my desktop, the ipad has last been seen on april 10.

Thank you, last question, could you post a screenshots of sync-internals on your desktop device?
You can go there by entering brave://sync-internals/ url

I want to compare sync internal pages of both devices to narrow down the issue

Sure, no problem. I am very glad I might help with this issue. So if you need more info, just let me know.

1 Like

For others in this thread still having the issue:
If you can post screenshots of sync internals of your iOS device and your desktop devices, that would be really helpful.

You can see how @mdlaat grabbed them.
On iOS you go to the sync settings and tap on a cogwheel icon in top right of the screen.

At the moment we are investigating under what conditions the sync service might kick a device off the sync chain

Pleased to report my sync is still working correctly on two iOS devices and one Mac after 3 weeks.

1 Like

Wierd is that While i dont see it under tabs from other devices. i do some webpages from my ipad in the PC history. however I do not see any on the ipad

Hi everyone.
My chronic illnesses have been really bad so havenā€™t been on here for a few weeks.

To update,

My devices are still all ok! Havenā€™t lost sync (issue #1) once since the update that added debugging which ironically also fixed it.

I was speaking to the devs again and one I spoke to (Jimmy) said that if anyone is still having issues, can you comment and upload photos of it happening.

They hadnā€™t meant to fix it in the update as it was just adding debugging, but it seemed to fix it as well lol.

So if you are still having issues, please do post here and upload photos of it happening.

1 Like

Hi, my sync issues werenā€™t resolved yet. The last screen is from macOS which seems working. But when I try to add my iPhone it says Sync Communication Error. And instead new sync chain on the iPhone is created. And when I try to add the Mac to the iOS created sync chain later nothing happens.

1 Like

Hi, the sync between my Mac and iPad has been broken for months. As requested, here are screenshots from the Mac this morning showing the lack of communication.

thanks in advance.

When Iā€™m in the sync process, and type into my iPad the sync code, the iPadā€™s sync screen disappears, and the following appears on the iPad screen ā€œSync communication Error. The Sync Agent is currently offline or not reachable. Please try again later.ā€
Iā€™ve made sure that both devices are on the same wifi network.
Any ideas?

thanks

Smith

I am getting the same thing. Trying to create a Sync Chain between my iPad and Win 11 and Android. I can create the chain between my Android and Win 11 but the iPad cannot link to the others.

Since I am new to the Brave browser and testing its functionality, I am disappointed that the issue has been reported for quite a while with no resolution. Where is Brave Support?

Iā€™m going back to MS Edge where I can sync all my devices.

My sync between Windows 10 and iphone 13 is not working. They are on the same sync chain but open tabs, passwords, etc. are not shown.

I had 5 devices on the same sync chain. I tried starting from scratch with just Windows 10 and iPhone and still no dice.

Probably going to leave Brave if this canā€™t get resolved. :frowning:

Open tabs arenā€™t one of the things that get synced. Itā€™s History, Password, and Bookmarks. Thatā€™s it.

History: This is limited, only including typed URL. So clicking/tapping on links, doing searches, or anything that isnā€™t directly a typed URL wonā€™t show up in History between synced devices in general. That said, itā€™s still not 100% within that limitation and Iā€™ve been in touch with the dev team that works on it. They are trying to look into it, though have some more critical projects they are working first, so itā€™s something they are trying to investigate and fix when they can.

Passwords This has been flawless. Iā€™m using Windows 10 and have an iPhone 13 Pro Max. So long as you have Password sync turned on within your iPhone and the devices it is synced to, you should see it. Please make sure that your devices are on the Sync chain and both have Passwords enabled to be synced under the Sync menu. If thatā€™s still the case, then devs can look into it, but just want you to double check if you can to make sure. As simple as it is and confident as can be, I honestly had not flipped the toggle myself when I was having issues.

Iā€™m not sure what the etc would be. Bookmarks load both ways with absolutely no issues and thereā€™s nothing else that syncs between the devices.

Thanks @Saoiray for your quick and thorough response. Much appreciated!

I must have misunderstood regarding open tabs. I believe it shows open tabs as one of the sync options in the desktop but apparently not in mobile? This is a major bummer because it is something I use heavily in Chrome. Is there some reason it isnā€™t enabled in Brave?

History: is this also something that is handled differently than Chrome? I guess I ignorantly assumed that common Chromium codebase would mean similar implementations of these features.

Thanks
Matt

Yeah, @michal was saying he wants to figure out how to make History better sync completely, but itā€™s not capable now. He did say he was reaching out to the sync team in hopes they can change things up. Also it was expressed he really dislikes this typed-URL limitation, especially since itā€™s super confusing to users

Iā€™m not even sure how all of that works. I do know thereā€™s the option to sync according to Android and Windows sync settings, but even when I have Sync Open Tabs I donā€™t see it appear anywhere between the two. I need to learn more about that, itā€™s just not something Iā€™ve messed with. But when it does come to iPhone, the only Sync Settings weā€™ve had is for the three mentioned, so Open Tabs wouldnā€™t be one of them.

Maybe @michal can answer in regards to why it can or canā€™t be done and if itā€™s something we can look forward to any time soon? I also need to get a name from him on who is on the Sync team so I might be able to reach out if have questions, lol.

Btw, I didnā€™t see you mention passwords again on that. Did you get that squared away or still an issue?